Posted by Help please.. on Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 8:21pm.
Tom needs carpet for his living room (11x 10 ft) and his bedroom room (20 x 16 ft). At $14.99 per square yard installed or $19.99 per square yard installed. How much would he save by choosing the cheaper carpet?
Math - Reiny, Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 8:39pm
area = 11*10 + 16*20 or 430 square feet
There are 9 square feet in 1 square yard.
divide by 9, then multiply by each unit cost
subtract the two costs to find the savings.
Math - Help please.., Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 9:01pm
430 /9= 47.777
Answer $238.90 he would save ... Correct?
Math - Reiny, Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 9:22pm
yes, arithmetically you are correct,
What do you think would happen if you went into a store and asked for 47.7777 square yards of carpet?
I wish text-book authors would think before they make up such unrealistic problems.
e.g. most likely you will have to buy a carpet which is 12 ft wide, and have waste.
For the other room you might even have to join different widths.
Math - Help please.., Tuesday, September 18, 2012 at 9:30pm
Haha ... Ok. Thanku soo much!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Mr. Frank is shopping for carpet for his living room and dining room. The...
- math - 4. Suppose your living room is a rectangle measuring 13 feet by 21 feet ...
- math - Mr Thomas wants to carpet his bed room. The size of the bed room is 15 ...
- Math (please help) - In a blueprint, each square has a side length of ¼ inch. 1 ...
- Math - What is the cost of laying carpet in a living room that measures 25ft by ...
- geometry - Mr. Rose wants to install wall-to-wall carpeting in his living room. ...
- geometry - FredFred wants to carpet his room that measures 12ft by 15ft. The ...
- Math - Carpet plus installs carpet for $100 plus $8 per square yard of carpet. ...
- Math - A rectangular room measures 15ft by 21ft. How much will it cost to carpet...
- Math - Mack needs to buy fencing to surround his circular garden. If his garden ...