Posted by kevin on Monday, September 17, 2012 at 11:55am.
I have a few questions that I don't understand hope someone can help.
1)write an equation of th line, in point slope form, that passes through the two given points. (-17,8),(3,-2)
I figured (y-8)=-2(x+17) not sure
2) the graph of g(x) is f(x) vertically compressed by a factor of 1/7 and reflected in the x-axis what is the function rule for g(x)given f(x)=2x.
not sure about this one
3)determine whether y varies directly with x if so find the constant of variation k and write the equation.
I know you start with y=kx but then I'm lost.
not looking for just answers but if someone can explain I'd appreciate it
algebra - kevin, Monday, September 17, 2012 at 12:37pm
on number 3 y=kx
so would i divide y by x and if so I get 1.57, 1.62, 1.66, and 1.7..Is this right?
algebra - Steve, Monday, September 17, 2012 at 3:01pm
#1. If not sure, plug in the points and see whether they satisfy your equation. you will see that they don't even come close
The (y-8) and (x+17) bits are ok, but how did you come up with a slope of -2? (-2-8)/(3+17) = -1/2
Looks like you used ∆x/∆y for the slope, rather than ∆y/∆x!
#2: you want g(x) which produces a height 1/7 of f(x). So,
g(x) = 1/7 f(x)
Now, you want to reflect g(x) around the x-axis, so
h(x) = -g(x)
h(x) = -1/7 f(x) = -1/7 (2x) = -2/7 x
check: f(1) = 2
h(1) = -2/7 shrunk, reflected
that is correct. Since the ratio changes, it is not a constant k.
y does not vary directly with x
In fact, y increases by 2 for every increase in x by 1. So,
y = 2x-3
That pesky -3 fouls up the direct variation.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Algebra - 1.Tell whether the sequence is arithmetic. If it is, what is the ...
- geometry - I would love for someone to check my work on the seven problems that ...
- Algebra 2 - Evaluate the function when x=1. f(x)=4x-2. Write the input and ...
- Algebra - 1.Write an equation in slope- intercept form of the line that passes ...
- Math (Please help!!) - Given A(-4,-2), B(44), and C(18,-8, answer the following ...
- math - I have a few question so I will number them off. Please answer them for ...
- algebra - Write an equation in slope-intercept form of the line that passes ...
- Mathematics - Can someone check my answers? 1. For the data in the table, does y...
- algebra - write an equation in slope-intercept form of the line that passes ...