Posted by Wiped Out on Friday, September 14, 2012 at 9:45pm.
A solution was made by dissolving 5.15 mg of hemoglobin in water to give final volume of 1.00 mL. The osmotic pressure of this solution was 1.97 x 10^-3 atm at 25C. Calculate the molar mass of hemoglobin.
pi = iMRT
i = 1 since hemoglobin is nonelectrolyte and doesn't dissociate
T = 298 K
R = constant = .08206 L atm/mol K
1 mL => .00100 L
5.15 mg => .00515 g
I was told that the answer is supposed to be a big number like 64,000. I don't understand how that works. Can someone help me get the right answer?
chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, September 14, 2012 at 9:54pm
pi = MRT
Solve for M in mol/L.
Then M = mols/L. You know M and L, solve for mols.
Finally, mols = g/molar mass and rearrange to molar mass = g/mols. You know grams and you know mol, solve for molar mass. I get close to 64,000 too.
chemistry - Wiped Out, Friday, September 14, 2012 at 10:36pm
chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, September 14, 2012 at 10:40pm
You were making it harder than it is.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - A 100.0 ml aqeuous solution that contains 0.50 g of hemoglobin has ...
- Chem7 - Calculate the osmotic pressure (in torr) of a solution containing 17.15 ...
- chemistry - hemoglobin is the protein that transports O2 through the blood from ...
- Chemistry - A solution is prepared by dissolving 5.00g of an unknown molecular ...
- ap chemistry - a solution is prepared by dissolving 4.9 g C12H22 O11 (...
- Chemistry - Chemical analysis show that hemoglobin contains 0.34 percent Fe by ...
- Chemistry 2 - In a study designed to prepare new gasoline resistant coatings, a ...
- Chemistry: Freezing point - An aqueous solution is prepared by dissolving 1.08 g...
- Chemistry - A dilute aqueous solution of an organic compound soluble in water is...
- chemistry - Hemoglobin is the oxygen carrying molecule of red bloods and ...