Posted by Layla on Friday, September 14, 2012 at 2:15pm.
Can anyone please help me with this problem?? =/
The reaction between solid sodium and iron (III) oxide is one in a series of reactions that inflates an automobile airbag. If 100g of sodium and 100g of iron(III) oxide are used in this reaction, determine:
a. the balanced reaction
b. the limiting reaction
c. the reactant in excess
d. mass of the solid iron produced
e. mass of excess reactant that remains.
THANK YOU :)
- AP Chemistry, Chem, science - DrBob222, Friday, September 14, 2012 at 2:43pm
I must tell you that I am unfamiliar with this in an air bag system; however, the only reaction that makes sense to me with these reactants is as follows:
6Na + Fe2O3 ==> 3Na2O + 2Fe
mols Na = g/atomic mass = ?
mols Fe2O3 = g/molar mass = ?
Convert mols Na to mols Fe solid using the coefficients in the balanced equation.
Do the same for mols Fe2O3 converted to mols Fe.
It is likely that the two numbers for mols Fe will not agree; the correct answer in limiting reagent problems is ALWAYS the smaller one and the reactant producing that value is the limiting reagent.
Of course the other reactant is the one in excess.
d.mols Fe x atomic mass = grams Fe.
e. Convert mols of the limiting reagent to mols of the excess reagent, multiply mols of the excess reagent x molar mass t obtain grams and subtract this number from g excess reagent there initially to find excess reagent remaining un-reacted.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - The reaction between solid sodium and iron(III) oxide is one in a ...
- chemistry - The reaction between solid sodium and iron(III) oxide is one in a ...
- Last Question Plz helppp:((im soo sleepy!!:( - 1)The reaction between solid ...
- Chemistry - Over the years, the thermite reaction (mixing of solid iron (III) ...
- chemistry - Iron(III) oxide reacts with carbon monoxide gas to form solid iron ...
- Chemistry - Iron(III) oxide reacts with carbon monoxide gas to form solid iron ...
- chemistry - iron(III) oxide reacts with carbon monoxide gas to form solid iron ...
- Chemistry - Iron ore consists mainly of iron III oxide. When iron III oxide is ...
- Chem I - Ok one more! Write the balanced equations and assign oxidation numbers ...
- Science - Thermite is a mixture of iron(III) oxide and aluminum powders that is ...