Posted by Rose on Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 8:37pm.
Can someone show me the steps for how to solve:
1.) f(x) = 4x^4 -3x^3 +2x^2 +x-3
2.) f(x) = x^3 - 2x^2 -5x +6
3.) f(x) = -3x^3 -2x^2 + x -1
Thank you so much :)
- For what x ? - Damon, Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 8:42pm
You only typed half the problem. Perhaps you are supposed to graph, not solve?
- Math - Rose, Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 9:09pm
sorry, i forgot to say the instructions said "find all possible rational roots"
- Math - Damon, Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 9:23pm
The roots of the polynomial 4x4 - 3x3 + 2x2 + x - 3 are:
X1 = 0.301 + 1.002*i
X2 = 0.301 - 1.002*i
X3 = 0.905
X4 = -0.757
- Math - Damon, Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 9:24pm
That is from:
- Math - Damon, Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 9:26pm
As you can see you really have to graph that polynomial to find the roots. If you have a graphing calculator, try that
Notice that it only crosses the x axis twice and then has a complex pair for the third and fourth roots
- Math - Damon, Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 9:27pm
For the second one you can see that one is a root by inspection.
Then you can divide by (x-1) to get a quadratic which you can solve.
- Math - Damon, Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 9:42pm
By the way if you tried all possible rational roots results on the first problem using factors of the first and last term 3 and 4 ( 3, 2, 4) you would have found that it has no rational factors by the rational root test.
- Math - Rose, Sunday, September 9, 2012 at 12:12am
thank you so much for your help ! :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Solve for S: r^2s-5s=7. Solve for b: L= 4a^2b. I'm confused about how to ...
- Math - Solve for x: x^4-15X^2+14=0 How would I solve this problem? Could someone...
- Math - Could you show me how to work through this problem? Show me steps Solve ...
- math ergent please please... - 10.a)Solve the inequality x^3-5x^2+2x+8<0 by i...
- MATH * - 0=-16t^2+80t+96 Solve for t. Can someone please show me the steps on ...
- math - ln x^4 + ln X = 24 ln e. Find the value of x. ln x^5=24 x^5=e^24....next ...
- College Math II - Solve by any method. a^4 – 5a^2 + 4 = 0 I am having problems ...
- Math - What steps do I take in order to solve : (101-100) = .512 times (x/.5) ...
- math - Solve the system of equations algebraically. Show all your steps. y=x^2+...
- MATH - 20. A certain computer can perform 105 calculations per second. How many ...