Posted by MYA on Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 8:31pm.
solve the following inequality
x^2(8+x)(x-5)/ (x+5)(x-2)> or equal too 0
this looks like a fraction
please show work
- college alg - Reiny, Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:01pm
x=0 , x=-8, x=5, x=-5 and x=2
So want to see where the graph of
y = x^2(8+x)(x-5)/ ((x+5)(x-2)) lies above or on the x-axis
investigate the following domains
1. x < -8
2. x between -8 and -5
3. x between -5 and 0
4. x between 0 and 2
5. x between 2 and 5
6. x > 5
You don't actually have to work out the calculations, all you care about is whether the answer is + or -
I will do 5.
a number between 2 and 5, I pick x = 4
(+)(+)(-)/((+)(+)) ≥ 0 ?? , no,
so x between 2 and 5 is not a solution
You can do the others the same way
I also graphed y = x^2(8+x)(x-5)/((x+5)(x-2))
which confirmed that
x<-8 OR -5 < x < 2 OR x > 5
- college alg - MYA, Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 9:11pm
the answer has to be in interval notation, so how would that look?
- college alg - Reiny, Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 10:14pm
I am not a big fan of "interval notation"
Back in the dark ages when I taught we used the above notation, which is much more specific
Here is a page that shows "interval notation", look about half way down the page.
It should be quite easy to convert my answer to what you need.
- college alg - For Reiny, Wednesday, September 5, 2012 at 11:11pm
thank you I didnt see this post after you posted that!!! you are truly a life saver!!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- alg - solve the following inequality x^2(8+x)(x-5)/(x+5)(x-2)>/=0 please show...
- Algebra - Solve the inequality 1. m - 7 < 6 2. x + 4.5 more than or equal to ...
- college alg - solve the following logarithm equation log (4x+7)=1+log(x-6) x=? ...
- college alg - for the given functions f and g find the following and state the ...
- college algebra - solve the following inequality. write the answer in interval ...
- calculus - solve the following inequality. write your solution in interval ...
- math - Ex 3: 4x-7<2x+5 4x-7-2x<2x-2x+5 2x-7<5 2x-7+7<5+7 2x<12 2x...
- calculus - solve the inequality algebraically 7x-6 less than or equal to 3x^2 ...
- math,algebra II - I have to work with these types of problems dealing with ...
- math - 2. Simplify. Please be sure to show all of your work. -3(-9) – |-5 – 3 3...