Posted by Erica on Friday, August 31, 2012 at 10:41am.
the dome over a town hall has a parabolic shape. the dome measures 48 m across and rises 12m at the centre. A vertical column needs to be attached to the dome at a point that is 4m away from its rim. How tall is the dome at this point? Also, what is the equation that models the shape of this dome?
- math - MathMate, Friday, August 31, 2012 at 11:15am
Take the vertex of the parabola at x=0.
Then the equation of the parabola (opening downwards) is y=12-ax^2 where a is a constant to be found.
We know that y=0 at x=±24 (half span), so
The equation of the parabola is therefore
I will let you finish the problem.
- math - Erica, Friday, August 31, 2012 at 11:23am
all these numbers kind of confuse me. Im not sure what ^ means. Right now the only equation i have learned is y= a(x-s)(x-t)
- math - MathMate, Friday, August 31, 2012 at 11:39am
x^2 means x squared, or x².
If you just started with parabolas, it won't hurt to say what you've learned so far.
Let's start over:
We first assume the vertex of the parabola is at x=0.
We know that y=0 at x=±24, or
We also know that y=12 at x=0, i.e.
The equation of the parabola is therefore:
Can you then continue?
- math - MathMate, Friday, August 31, 2012 at 11:41am
Correction to one of the above lines:
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry - A glass dome covers a pool making an indoor Waterpark. If the height ...
- Calc 3 - The actual span of the base of the dome is 143 feet. 1) Use cylindrical...
- Science: Physics - A spherical metal dome of radius 15 cm is electrically ...
- Physics(IMPORTANT) - A small object of mass m= 90 kg slides down a spherical ...
- physics - The dome of a Van de Graaff generator has a diameter of 32.0 cm and is...
- algebra - a hemisphere dome on top of a silo has a diameter of 40 feet, find the...
- physics - A particle of mass m is released from rest at the top of a spherical ...
- AP Calculus AB - Please Help! Thank you! An observatory is to be in the form of ...
- physics(help) - A small object of mass m= 90 kg slides down a spherical dome of ...
- physics (help) - A small object of mass m= 90 kg slides down a spherical dome of...