Posted by Rebekah on Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 2:01pm.
I have a few problems from my homework that I am having trouble with.
#1 Find the difference quotient of f foreach function
I got -2x+6
#2 Express the area of an isosceles right triangle as a function of the length x of one of the two eual sides
pre calc - Steve, Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 3:42pm
The difference quotient,
∆f/∆x = [f(x+h)-f(x)]/h
= [1/((x+h)+3) - 1/(x+3)]/h
= 1/h [(x+3) - (x+h+3)] / (x+h+3)(x+3)
= 1/h (-h)/(x+h+3)(x+3)
The legs are x and x. One leg is the base, the other leg is the height, so the area is 1/2 bh = 1/2 x^2
Why can't the hypotenuse be one of the equal sides? Because the hypotenuse is longer than either leg.
pre calc - Rebekah, Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 5:49pm
for the second problem what is th height??
pre calc - Rebekah, Thursday, August 30, 2012 at 5:50pm
ohh wait ok that was me just having a dumb moment haha. THANKS sooo much:)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra difference quotient - I am doing difference quotient. I am to write the ...
- AP Calc - The base of a solid is the region in the first quadrant bounded by the...
- Geometry - Can anybody help me with this word problem? A homeowner, who loves ...
- Calc - Express the surface area of a cube as a function of its volume. I did ...
- Pre-Algebra - I am having trouble understanding how to answer this type of ...
- Math - Can someone please check to see if I answered these true and false ...
- A L G E B R A H ELP MS SUE. - I THINK I MAY HAVE DONE MY HOMEWORK WRONG BECAUZE ...
- Calc help - find the area of the region enclosed by y=e^2x, y=e^5x, and x=1. i ...
- Math-CHECK PLEASE - Which of the statements is ALWAYS TRUE? A-A right triangle ...
- geometry - The height of triangle ACE is 12 and base AE=20. A rectangle is ...