Posted by student on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 9:12pm.
The point P(4, −2)lies on the curve y = 2/(3 − x).
(a) If Q is the point(x, 2/(3 − x)),use your calculator to find the slope mPQ of the secant line PQ (correct to six decimal places) for the following values of x.
1) 3.9 mPQ=
2) 3.99 mPQ=
4) 4.1 mPQ=
5) 4.01 mPQ=
im so confused! i just started this and my teacher really didn't explain it. can someone please break this down for me?
- calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 10:42pm
I will do one of them, you do the others
3) x = 3.999
then y = 2/(3-3.999) = -2.00200200200...
then slope = (-2.002002002 - (-2))/(3.999-4)
- calculus - someone please help me with this!!!!, Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 11:08pm
thank you for answering me. im just trying to figure this out. i understand how the part y= 2/(3-3.999) = -2.002002002
just your second line im trying to figure out. i can do the others once i just understand the steps. my teacher didn't go over this unfortunately.
- calculus - someone please help me with this!!!!, Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 11:37pm
nevermind i understand i took another look at it and its clear. thank you so much for getting back to me!!
- calculus - Reiny, Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 11:40pm
we now had two points
the original (4,-2) and
the new (3.999, -2.002002002)
(notice that these two points are practically on top of each other)
how do you find the slope between 2 point ?
if we had 2 points ( a,b) and (c,d) wouldn't it
be (d-b)/(c-a) or
you might have been taught
(y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1)
that's all I did.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - The point P(8, −3) lies on the curve y = 3/(7 − x). (a) If Q ...
- calc - The point P(4, −2)lies on the curve y = 2/(3 − x). (a) If Q ...
- Math - THE POINT (8,-3)LIES ON THE CURVE Y=3/(7-X) (a)IF Q IS THE POINT (x,3/(7-...
- Calculus - Find the point on the line 6x + y = 9 that is closest to the point (-...
- linear algebra - Let L be the line with parametric equations x = −5+2t y...
- calculus - Find an equation for the surface consisting of all points P(x, y, z) ...
- math - Let L be the line with parametric equations x = −8+2t y = 4+3t z...
- Calculus - The point P(4,2) lies on the curve y=x^1/2 If Q is the point (x,x^1/2...
- vectors linear algebra - The parametric equations for a line L1 are as follows: ...
- Math - plz help me Choose the equation below that represents the line that ...