Posted by Em on Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 7:53pm.
annie,betty,Cathy and Danial are going to stand on a row for taking pictures. How many ways can they stand?
- math - Damon, Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 8:02pm
- math - Damon, Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 8:08pm
The first person has the cohoice of 4 spots, takes one
The second person has choice of 3 spots, takes one
The third person has choice of two spots takes one
The fourth person is stuck with the last spot, takes it
4*3*2*1 = 24
permutations of n items taken one at a time.
- math - Damon, Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 8:09pm
is n !
n (n-1) (n-2) ....... 1
- math - Damon, Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 8:12pm
By the way the permutations of n items taken r at a time is
and if it does not matter how the r items are arranged in each sub group, then it is the number of "combinations"
n! / [ r! (n-r)! ]
- math - Damon, Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 8:23pm
Now what if they were to be paired and we care if each is on left or right in the photo?
that is permutations of four people taken 2 at a time
4!/2! = 4*3*2*1/(2*1) = 12 ways
But what if we do not care if they are on the right or the left. (Betty-Cathy the same as Cathy-Betty)
4!/[2!(4-2)!] = 4*3/2 = 6 ways
- math - Damon, Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 8:24pm
Well, that was fun, have not done that for a while.
- math - Ms. Sue, Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 8:27pm
- math - Damon, Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 8:32pm
LOL - well there is much more but it is probably not on Em's list for tonight (Pascal's triangle, binomial theorem). Do not get me started :)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Keith, Annie, Elizabeth, and Marcus are taking a picture. How many ...
- 7th grade - what is lateral and total surface area? What does "B" stand for? ...
- statistics - n youth corp have to stand in a row if all possible permutations;...
- Early Childhood - Which is NOT an example of a student using a digital camera ...
- math - Keith, Anne, Elizabeth, and Marcus are taking a picture. how many ...
- Physics - A 3700 kg statue is placed on top of a cylindrical concrete (Y = 2.3 ...
- Metric System - What is L stand for what does cg stand for and what does mg ...
- Math - Tell me how to figure out these probabilities In how many different ...
- Discrete Math - Of the nine (Ann, Ben, Cal, Dot, Ed, Fran, Gail, Hal and Ida), ...
- English expression - A: What is your specialty? B: My specialty is taking ...