Posted by TJR on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 9:58am.
A car whose speed is 90.0 km/h (25 m/s) rounds a curve 180 m in radius that is properly banked for speed of 45 km/h (12.5 m/s). Find the minimum coefficient of friction between tires and road that will permit the car to make a turn. What will happen to the car in this case?
My teacher said we'll use 'tan' but i'm confused. :(
- Physics - Elena, Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 12:35pm
The projections of the forces acting ob the car moving at the velocity v=12.5 m/s are:
x: ma=N•sin α,
y: 0=N•cos α – mg.
The normal force has a horizontal component , pointing toward the center of the curve. Because the ramp is to be designed so that the force of static friction is zero, only the component causes the centripetal acceleration:
m•v²/R=N•sin α= m•g•sin α/cos α =m•g•tan α,
tan α= v²/g•R
α =arctan(v²/g•R)= arctan(12.5²/9.8•180) =5.06º
The equations of the motion of the car moving with velocity V=25 m/s are:
x: ma= N•sin α +F(fr) •cos α,
y: 0=N•cos α – mg- F(fr) •sin α.
Since F(fr) =μ•N, we obtain
ma= N•sin α + μ•N •cos α,
mg =N•cos α – μ•N •sin α.
ma/mg =N(sin α + μ •cos α)/N (cos α – μ •sin α)
a=g(sin α + μ •cos α)/ (cos α – μ •sin α)
V²/R =g(sin α + μ •cos α)/ (cos α – μ •sin α),
V²•cos α -R•g•sin α =μ• (V²• sin α +R•g• cos α),
μ=( V²•cos α -R•g•sin α)/ (V²• sin α +R•g• cos α)=
- Physics - bobpursley, Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 12:43pm
Thanks, Elena, good work. My analysis was too quick.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A car whose speed is 90km/hr rounds a curve 180m in radius that is ...
- Physics - A car, having a mass of 1.2 x 10^3kg rounds a curve which is banked at...
- PHYSICS? - 1300 kg car rounds a banked curve of radius= 50m. If car traveling ...
- physics - A 1 500-kg car rounds an unbanked curve with a radius of 52 m at a ...
- Physics - as you are riding in a 1650-kg car, you approach a hairpin curve in ...
- physics 1401!!! - A 2000-kg car rounds an unbanked curve with a radius of 45 m ...
- Physics - A car rounds a curve that is banked inward. The radius of curvature of...
- Physics - In the Daytona 500 car race in Daytona, FL, a curve in the oval track ...
- math - a car weighing 15000N rounds a curve of 60m. radius banked at angle of 30...
- Physics - A 14,300 N car traveling at 46.0 km/h rounds a curve of radius 2.30 x ...