Posted by rajat garg on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 2:35am.
in triangle abc angle b = 2angle c.d is a point ob bc such that ad bisects angle bac and ab = cd.prove that angle bac = 72
- maths - Reiny, Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 8:27am
make a sketch.
let angle C = x , then angle B = 2x
also, let angle BAD = y = angle CAD , (Angle A was bisected by AD)
then in triangle ABC , 2x + 2y + x = 180
y = (180-3x)/2 = 90 - 3x/2
by exterior angle theorem,
angle BDA = x+y and angle CDA = 2x+y
let AB = m = DC , (given)
by the sine law:
m/sin(x+y) = AD/sin 2x and m/siny = AD/sinx
m = ADsin(x+y)/sin 2x and m = ADsiny/sinx
so ADsin(x+y)/sin2x = ADsiny/sinx
divide by AD
sin(x+y)/sin2x = siny/sinx
sin(x + 90-3x/2)/(2sinxcosx) = siny/sinx
sin(90 - x/2)/(2cosx) = siny , after dividing by sinx
sin(90-x/2) = 2sinxcosx
sin(90-x/2) = sin 2x
so 90 - x/2 = 2x
180 - x = 4x
then y = 90-3(36)/2 = 36
and angle A = 2y = 72°
- maths - Reiny, Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 8:31am
There is a wonderful field of math lying ahead from this problem.
notice that cos 36° = .809016.. which is 1/2 of the golden ratio of (1+√5)/2 or 1.61803....
Look up the "pentagon"
Draw the central triangles, your triangle is one of these.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Maths - X and Y are points on the sides BC and AC of a triangle ABC respectively...
- maths - In triangle ABC angle B > angle C if AM is the bisector of angle BAC...
- maths - point D,E lie on side BC,CA of triangle ABC resp.lines AD,BE,DE bisect ...
- maths - ABC is a triangle with ∠BAC=60∘,AB=5 and AC=25. D is a point...
- help math - In triangle ABC, points D,E,F are on sides BC,CA,AB respectively ...
- math - in triangle abc ad is bisector of angle a and angle b is twice of angle c...
- Geometry - ABC is a triangle with circumcenter O, obtuse angle BAC and AB less ...
- MATHS - ABC is a triangle with a right angle at A. M and N are points on BC such...
- Isoceles Angle Bisector - Triangle ABC is isosceles with AB=AC. D is a point on ...
- Geometry - Given: Line segment AD bisects angle BAC. Angle 1 is congruent to ...