Posted by Lisa on Monday, August 13, 2012 at 8:11pm.
In the years following the September 11, 2001, attacks, the number of terrorist incidents on U.S. soil has totaled 33; other countries, like the U.K., have experienced more (190), with some countries like Israel reporting numbers in the thousands (National Counterterrorism Center, 2011).
National Counterterrorism Center. (2011). 2010 report on terrorism.
Review the incidents from this list of significant terrorist activities here and abroad. You can research these for a fuller understanding of how terrorism has affected the United States in the last decade.
• 2002: Failed attempt to shoot down an Israeli jetliner in Kenya
• 2002: Attack of French tanker off coast of Yemen
• 2002: Shooting at Los Angeles International Airport by Hesham Mohamen Ali Heayat results in the deaths of two people
• 2002: Bombing of nightclub in Bali, Indonesia
• 2003: Car bombing of JW Marriot hotel in Jakarta, Indonesia
• 2004: Commuter train bombings in Madrid, Spain
• 2004: Attack of Western oil companies and housing compounds in Al Khobar, Saudia Arabia, results in death of 22 people
• 2004: Armed assailants breached U.S. consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, resulting in 5 deaths
• 2005: Bombings of London underground trains and bus
• 2005: American citizen Michael Reynolds in Pocatello, Idaho, offers to assist al-Qaida in acts of terrorism by planning attacks and describing bomb making techniques
• 2007: IED explosions at restaurant in Cotabato, Philippines, results in three people critically injured
• 2009: Shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, by Sunni extremist results in 56 wounded or killed
• 2002-present: Thousands of car bombings, suicide bombings, and attacks on civilians in Iraq
Write a 750-to 1,200-word paper in which you consider some of the following questions. Use specific events, including at least three from the list above, to support your ideas.
• Why is there heavier activity in certain areas of the world?
• What do the sites of terrorist activities have in common?
• Could laws, procedures, or organizations, either national or international, have prevented these attacks?
• Who should determine what sorts of laws and organizations are most effective? Defend your position.
• Does the United States have a moral obligation, a practical reason, or both, for becoming involved in stopping terrorist activities in other countries? Defend your position.
• How has the idea of terrorism affected the lives of individual Americans since 9/11?
• How have American priorities changed since 9/11?
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.
Support your responses with factual references.
Resources: American History, Primary Source Investigator
Complete the final sections of America and the World Presentation:
• 2 to 3 slides: Explanation of how American priorities have changed since the 9/11 terrorist attacks
• 2 to 3 slides: Description of U.S. involvement in Iraq, in Afghanistan, and in the global community.
Compile your final 15- to 20-slide (not including title and reference list slides) America and the World Presentation, with speaker notes.
Incorporate maps, images, and video from the Primary Source Investigator and from outside sources.
Format your presentation consistent with APA guidelines.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Global Issues (ms.sue) - It is a known fact that all though there are some ...
- American Experience since 1945 - What do this sites of terrorist activities have...
- Geography (Ms. Sue) - 1). What happened in the terrorist attacks on the United ...
- MICROECONOMICS - This is really long but i really need help!! THX In 1973, there...
- Ms. Sue PLZ HELP!!!(Civics) - Some countries in North America are richer in ...
- HISTORY - What has been the effect on American relations with other countries ...
- economics - 18. (Shifts in the PPF) Terrorist attacks foster instability and may...
- Government - What are some reasons why the President was given almost unlimited ...
- Ethic - Are violations of human rights excusable in time of war? In the ...
- Social Studies - Witch country brought basball to the central american countries...