Posted by Alex on Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 11:38pm.
Find all intervals on which the given expressions are positive.
I know the answer is : x<-2, x>1
please show me the steps on how to solve this math problem.
- Algebra - Steve, Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 11:59pm
to have the product be positive, either both factors are negative, or both are positive.
x-1 < 0 AND x+2 < 0
x < 1 AND x < -2
==> x < -2
x-1 > 0 AND x+2 > 0
x > 1 AND x > -2
==> x > 1
or, you can consider what you know about polynomials. If there are no repeated roots, then the graph crosses the x-axis at various points. In between those points, the function does not change sign. When crossing the axis, the function changes sign.
So, consider x very large negative. Both factors are negative, so the product is positive. Each time it crosses the x-axis (at one of the roots), it changes sign. So, looking at the number line, and marking + or -, we start way out on the left with +, and change sign at each root:
++++++ -2 ----- 1 +++++++
Repeated roots modify this algorithm some, as the graph may just touch the axis and not change sign.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math ergent please please... - 10.a)Solve the inequality x^3-5x^2+2x+8<0 by i...
- math ergent please... - 10.a)Solve the inequality x^3-5x^2+2x+8<0 by i) using...
- Algebra - Solve the inequality and express the solution in terms of intervals ...
- algebra - Given the following function, find: (a) vertex (b) axis of symmetry (c...
- algebra - Show all steps solve the problem evaluate the expression for given ...
- Math - Could you show me how to work through this problem? Show me steps Solve ...
- math - . Given the following function, f(x)=-x^2 -8x find: (a) vertex, (b) axis...
- Algebra - Find the domains of rational expressions 2b-2/2b^2-8 please show steps
- algebra - How do you solve this math problem? h= -8t^2+40t then it says: when t=...
- Math - 3x-4 to y+15 is constant and y=3 when x=2 then when y=12, x equals? My ...