Posted by Robert on Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 11:12pm.
Two long straight parallel wires separated by a distance of 20 cm carry currents of 30 A and 40 A in opposite directions. What is the magnitude of the resulting magnetic field at a point that is 15 cm from the wire carrying the 30-A current and 25 cm from the other wire?
So I figured out that it's a triangle that forms with 25cm as the hypotenuse (distance between wire 2 and B)
From here I'll use B = mu_0 I / 4pi r
For Wire 1 I get 20 mu_T
For wire 2 I get 16 mu_T
so together I get 36 mu_T
Did I do this right?
- Physics - Verification - Elena, Monday, August 13, 2012 at 3:03am
B1=μₒI1/2πr1 =4π10^-730/2π0.15 =410^-5 T,
B2=μₒI2/2πr2 =4π10^-740/2π0.25 =3.210^-5 T.
Generally there are two points which are separated by given distances from I1 (point M) and I2 (point N), where we have to find magnetic field B. They are above and below MN line.
Let us examine the point P which is below the line connecting I1 and I2.
Let the left current I1 be directed into the page,
and the right current I2 be directed out of the page.
B1 is normal to MP line and is directed due to west,
B2 is normal to NP line and is directed south east.
Net B is directed southwest.
The magnutude of B may be found using cosine law.
The angle α is equal to the angle MPN which cosine is
=10^-5sqrt[ (4²+3.2²-243.20.6)]= 3.310^-5 T.
If I1 is out of the page and I2 is into the page,
net B is directed northeast and is of the same magnitude.
Answer this Question
- Physics - Two very long, straight, parallel wires separated by distance d carry ...
- PHYSISC - Two parallel, straight wires that are very long are separated by a ...
- physics - Two long straight wires are parallel and 9.0 cm apart. They are to ...
- physics - Two long parallel wires carry currents of 10 A in opposite directions...
- College Physics - Two long, parallel wires separated by 50 cm each carry ...
- physics - Two long, straight wires are separated by 0.12 m. The wires carry ...
- physics - Two long, straight, parallel wires 10 cm apart carry currents in ...
- Physics - Two long parallel wires separated by a distance, d, carry currents in ...
- College Physics - Two long, straight, parallel wires 8.0 cm apart carry currents...
- Physics--Current question - Two long straight parallel wires separated by 1.00mm...