Posted by deel on Wednesday, August 8, 2012 at 9:35pm.
In a room of 20.000 ft^3 of air, 600 ft^3 of fresh air flows in per minute, and the mixture (made practically inform by circulating fans) is exhausted at a rate of 600 cubic feet per minute (cfm). What is the amount of fresh air inside the room y(t) at any time, if y(0)=0? After what time will 90% of air in the room be fresh.
- math - MathMate, Wednesday, August 8, 2012 at 10:23pm
I assume you are familiar with integration or differential equations.
y(t)=amount of air (in c.f.) in room at time t.
=rate of increase of fresh air per unit time (min)
=fresh air in - fresh air out per minute
=600 - 600(y/20000)
Separate variables and integrate:
∫dy/(20000-y) = (600/20000)∫ dt
-log(20000-y) = 600t/20000 + C'
log(20000-y) = -600t/20000 + C
Raise to power of e:
20000-y = e^(-600t/20000+C)
At t=0, y=0
=77 minutes (approx.)
- math - deel, Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 11:10am
thanks for your help
- math :) - MathMate, Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 11:40am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Precal - The equation is y=80.4- 11 ln x, 100<x<1500 Which approximates ...
- physics - a room that measures 10.o ft wide, 32.0 ft long, and 8.00 ft high ...
- Physics - 1)The annoying sound from a mosquito is produced when it beats its ...
- science - What is the mass of air in a room meauring 30 cubic meters if the ...
- Intermediate Algebra - A bank loaned out 15,000part of it at a rate of 6% per ...
- AP calculus AB - A balloon is being filled with air at a rate of 3 cubic meters ...
- Accounting - Sam's grocery store had the following at the end of 20X5: Cash $22,...
- related rates calculus problem - A balloon is being filled with air at a rate of...
- Physics - 1) The annoying sound from a mosquito is produced when it beats its ...
- Math/Calc Please help - When air expands adiabatically (without gaining or ...