Posted by vera on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 7:32pm.
If a satellite completes an orbit 820 miles above the earth in 11 hours at a velocity of 22,000 mph, how long would it take a satellite to complete an orbit if it is at 1400 miles above the earth at a velocity of 36,000 mph? (Use 36,000 miles as the radius of the earth. )
- math - vera, Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 10:12pm
The answer should be 7.54 hours. What is the formula I need to get this answer?
- math - tchrwill, Sunday, August 12, 2012 at 11:43am
The formula that will clear up your problem is
......Vc = sqrt(µ/r)
where Vc = the velocity required to keep a body in a circular orbit, in feet/sec., r = the orbital radius in feet and µ = the Earth's gravitational constant or 1.407974x10^16 ft^3/sec^2.
The numbers you offer are inconsistent and unreal. Also, the radius of the earth is 3963 miles or 20,924,640 feet.
The real circular velocity for an orbit of 820 miles altitude is
Vc = sqrt(1.407974x10^16/(3963+820)5280
Vc = 23,612 fps or 16,099 mph.
The orbital period is therefore
Tc = (3963+820)5280(2)3.14/23,612 hr
Tc = 112 min.
The orbital period may also be derived from
Tc = 2(Pi)sqrt(r^3/µ)
Tc = 6.28sqrt(25,254,240^3/1.407974x10^16)
Tc = 6720 sec. or 1.866 hr or 112 min.
For the 1400 mile altitude,
Tc = 15,203mph and Tc = 132.98 min.
Tc(1400)/Tc(840) = r(1400)^(3/2)/r(840)^(3/2)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math WORD PROBLEM - The time in hours it takes a satellite to complete an orbit ...
- Math - When a satellite is h kilometres above Earth,the time,t,in minutes,to ...
- geometry - A satellite in a nearly circular orbit is 2000 km above Earth's ...
- Geometry - A satellite in a nearly circular orbit is 2000 km above Earth's ...
- Math - A satellite is launched into orbit 200 kilometers above the Earth.The ...
- Geometry - A satellite has-recently been placed in a nearly circular orbit 2000 ...
- physics - A satellite of mass 205 kg is launched from a site on Earth's equator ...
- Physics - A satellite of mass 220 kg is launched from a site on Earth's equator ...
- Physics - A satellite of mass 210 kg is launched from a site on Earth's equator ...
- physics - Two Earth satellites, A and B, each of mass m, are to be launched into...