Posted by AMber on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 10:03am.
If 95% of all people between 21 and 50 have had at least one adult beverage in their life, find these probabilities for a sample of 10 people in that age group:
a) Exactly 10 have had an adult beverage
b) At least 6 have had an adult beverage
c) At most 8 have had an adult beverage
d) At most 1 has had an adult beverage.
stats - MathMate, Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 1:37pm
Here are some properties of the experiment:
1. Each trial is Bernoulli (i.e. yes/no)
2. Number of trials is fixed.
3. probability of success does not vary from trial to trial.
4. each trial is independent of the others (assumed random sample).
All these point to the binomial distribution with N=10, p=0.95, q=(1-0.95)=0.05, and success="have had at least one adult beverage".
and (N,i) = number of ways to choose i objects from N distinct objects.
a). N=10, i=10, p=0.95, q=0.05
b) At least 6 => X=6,7,8,9,10
P(X≥6)=∑P(X=i), i=6 to 10
c) At most 8 => X=1,2,3...8
=> X≠9 and X≠10
We can use the identity
P(X≤8)=∑P(X=i), i=1 to 8
=1- [∑P(X=i), i=9 to 10]
which simplifies the calculations.
d) at most 1 => X=0 or X=1.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- statistics - 1.a person selects a card from a deck .it is a red card ,he wns 1$....
- Stats - Four out of five people have had cold pizza for breakfast. If 20 people...
- Statistics - Suppose that in the city in which the survey is conducted, 50% of ...
- statistics - Based on data collected by the National Center for Health ...
- StatIstics - "Household size" is defined as the number of people living in a ...
- Research 1 - The population that is represented by a sample is a. Everyone in ...
- Maths - 2a) assume that adult males have footless which are normally distributed...
- Chemistry - The National Vaccine Information Center estimates that 90% of ...
- statistics - a sample of 120 men and women randomly divided into 3 groups with ...
- social psycology - If your norm is one that people outside a particular group ...