Posted by Abby on Saturday, August 4, 2012 at 7:52am.
1. Which one of the following short stories takes a series of completely ordinary events and develops them into a character study?
A. "Young Goodman Brown"
B. "Paul's Case"
C. "A Private History of a Campaign That Failed"
[D.] "A Pair of Silk Stockings"
2. What author saw hypocrisy in the lives of the Puritans?
A. Willa Cather
B. Mark Twain
C. Kate Chopin
[D.] Nathaniel Hawthorne
3. Which one of the following statements best describes the theme of "Young Goodman Brown"?
[A.] People aren't always what they seem.
B. The Devil is in charge of this world.
C. The forest is a place where dark deeds take place.
D. Men should listen to the cautions of their wives.
4. Foreshadowing means
A. putting secondary characters in the foreground of the story.
[B.] hinting at things that will occur later.
C. showing the readers the dark side of a character's personality.
D. describing what happens at night—for example, in a dark basement
5. Analyzing Hawthorne's complex story "Young Goodman Brown," it's reasonable to conclude that
Goodman Brown's perception or interpretation of events represents a setting at the _______ level.
6. An author's purpose in using rhetoric is to
[A.] create a certain effect for the reader.
B. present facts as they really are.
C. separate realism from idealism.
D. provide hints as to what's going to happen.
7. Which one of the following words best describes Goodman Brown at the end of Hawthorne's story?
8. In the story "Paul's Case," why is Paul irritated and wretched after the concert?
[A.] His real life is so different from his dream.
B. He has seen his English teacher.
C. He has to walk home in the rain.
D. He has spoken with the singer.
9. What is the climax in Willa Cather's short story "Paul's Case"?
A. Paul reads about his theft in the newspaper.
B. Paul takes the train to New York.
C. Paul meets the boy from Yale.
[D.] Paul jumps in front of the train.
10. Studying the plot elements in "A Pair of Silk Stockings," you might reasonably conclude that the
essence of her story
A. is found in its sensual descriptions.
B. is identical to Paul's in "Paul's Case."
[C.] reflects the despair of daily life.
D. emphasizes the hardship of poverty.
11. According to the analyses of the stories you were asked to read, "A Pair of Silk Stockings" best
12. In Twain's "The Private History of a Campaign that Failed," Smith, the blacksmith's apprentice, is given "ultimate credit" for
[A.] being killed in battle.
B. naming the militia group's encampments.
C. keeping the group trained and ready for battle.
D. earning the rank of sergeant.
13. At the beginning of "Young Goodman Brown," Brown's wife says, "Pray tarry with me this night, dear
husband, of all nights in the year" (1). This statement is an example of
14. In Mark Twain's account of a "campaign that failed," his satire is aimed at the _______ of making an
adventure appear more glorious than it was.
15. Which one of the following short stories is an example of an allegory?
A. "Paul's Case"
B. "A Pair of Silk Stockings"
[C.] "Young Goodman Brown"
D. "The Private History of a Campaign That Failed"
16. In "Paul's Case," why does Paul go to work early?
A. He didn't want to get caught skipping school.
[B.] He liked looking at the pictures in the art gallery.
C. He didn't want to lose his job.
D. He wanted to wrestle with the other boys.
17. Faith's pink ribbons are an example of a
18. The wicked witch and the big bad wolf are examples of
A. dynamic characters.
19. Archetypes are a type of _______ that appear throughout history.
20. In "Paul's Case," the story suggests that Paul's "dark corner" represents his
A. fear of his father.
B. destiny as a misfit.
[C.] contempt for authority.
D. homosexual orientation.
- Literature - Myblackdahlia, Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 2:10am
Not sure bout 5, 14 and 19 and 20 m sure is D cuz in the analysis it explains "the shadowed corner, thedark place into which he dared not look" and that he knew the things he did were wrong which is feeling something for the boy frm yale. the hint that he might hav enjoyed a homo relationship with the boy establishes the 'dark corner' hope ththelps i got a 100 on this test but some of ur questions r different frm mine
- Literature - Abby, Sunday, August 5, 2012 at 5:56pm
- Literature - jake, Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 4:56pm
10 is a is found in its sensual descriptions.
- Literature - Elizabeth, Thursday, September 12, 2013 at 5:11pm
#11 is not correct the answer would be- realism
- Literature - Anonymous, Saturday, December 6, 2014 at 1:45pm
The answer to question 20
Answer this Question
literature - Which one of the following short stories takes a series of ...
Short Stories - 1.In "Paul's Case," why does Paul go to work early? A. He didn't...
english - 1.In "Paul's Case," why does Paul go to work early? A. He didn't want ...
THE SHORT STORY, PART 2 - Which one of the following short stories takes a ...
Literature (short story) - In "A Pair of Silk Stockings," the silk stockings are...
English - (This is from Young Goodman Brown) What can be inferred about the ...
english - i need help please. What does Thomas F. Walsh, Jr's thesis propose ...
Literature-Help me Ms. Sue - Analyzing Hawthorne's complex story "Young Goodman ...
english - what are some similarities between the stories Where are you going ...
literature,short story - At the beginning of "Young Goodman Brown," Brown's ...