Posted by Robert on Friday, August 3, 2012 at 11:56am.
Find the equilibrium moles for the following reaction with initially 0.051 mol for Ethyl acetate, 0.260 mol for water and 0.03045 mol of acetic acid at equilibrium.
I'm not sure how to get the ones at equilibrium for the left side or even how much you have to take away for the reaction.
CH3CH2COOCH3 + H2O ---> CH3CH2OH + CH3COOH
EthylAc: 0.051 mol
Water: 0.260 mol
Acetic: 0.03045 mol
- Chemistry - Robert, Friday, August 3, 2012 at 12:07pm
does it mean that because acetic acid has 0.03045 mol at equilibrium that x = 0.03045 mol? So then Ethanol would also have 0.03045 mol at eq and EtAc and H20 would both be their initial [conc] - x?
- Chemistry - Robert, Friday, August 3, 2012 at 12:12pm
because it's a 1:1 ratio for all, then at rxn, we would have -x for both EtAc and H2O and + x on the right, so x = 0.03045.
Is this correct?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, August 3, 2012 at 1:52pm
You have run your sentence together and I can't be sure about the concentrations. From the table, however, it appears initially you have EtOAc of 0.051 and H2O of 0.260 (so initially EtOH = 0 and acetic acid = 0).
Yes, if you have 0.03045 mols acetic acid at equilibrium you will have 0.03045 mols EtOH at equilibrium.
.......EtOAc + H2O ==> EtOH + HAc
So = 0.03045 which allows you to place numbers for all and calculate Keq.(at least I suppose that is what you are to do).
- Chemistry - Robert, Friday, August 3, 2012 at 1:55pm
okay thanks Dr.Bob, that's exactly what I did too.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chem - The equilibrium constant Kc equals 5.90 for the reaction CH3COOH + C2H5OH...
- AP Chemistry - The equilibrium constant for thermal dissociation of F2 F2(g)<...
- Chemistry - Consider the reaction HCHO(g) *) H2(g) + CO(g). 1.0 mol of HCHO, 1.0...
- chemistry - A classic experiment in equilibrium studies dating from 1862 ...
- chemistry - In an esterification experiment, 2.0 mol of ethanol were mixed with ...
- Chemistry - An equilibrium mixture in a 10.0 L flask contains 7.0 mol HI(g) and ...
- chemistry - n one experiment, a mixture of 1.000 mol acetic acid and 0.5000 mol ...
- Chemistry - The following system is at equilibrium,at 699K in a 5L container. H2...
- chemistry - The equilibrium constant (Kc) for the gas phase reaction 2 NH3 N2 + ...
- CHEMISTRY: URGENT DRBob222 - A mixture of 0.50 mol of ethanoic acid and 1.00 mol...