Posted by Devi on Friday, August 3, 2012 at 5:55am.
A cast iron block of 5Cm^2 cross section carries an axial compressive load of 50KN.Calculate the magnitude or normal and shear stresses on a plane whose normal is inclined at 30 deg.to the axis of the block,also determine the maximum shear stress in the block?
Solid Mechanics - MathMate, Friday, August 3, 2012 at 6:40am
I'll give it a try.
We have 50kN on 5cm², or 0.0005 m².
So the axial stress
σx = 105 kPa
So draw the Mohr's circle (in the σ/τ plane) with between (0,0) and (100,0) as a diameter.
The centre is at (50,0).
To find the stresses at θ=30°
draw a diameter passing through the centre at 2*30=60° with the axis.
The stresses in that plane is shown by the extremities of the diameter, namely
Maximum shear stress is at θ=45° where
Hope that helps.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Solid Mechanics - pls help me to resolve this question A casts iron block of ...
- Solid Mechanics - A casts iron block of 5cm2 cross section carries load of 50KN...
- solid mechanics - a steel bar 10m long and 10cm*10cm in section .it is subjected...
- Materials Science - A compression bar, having a square cross section of side ...
- solid mechanics - Q.1 The normal stresses at a certain point in a body are 80MPa...
- Physics - A wooden block of mass m = 2.3 kg starts from rest on an inclined ...
- solid mechanics - A steel plate is subjected to tensile stresses of 200MPa and ...
- sjc coolege - A steel bar 10m long and 10cm ×2.5cm in section .It is subjected ...
- THEORY OF MACHINE - A steel bar 10 m long and 10 cm * 2.5 cm in section. It is ...
- solid mechanics - A body is subjected to two normal strains of magnitude Ex=0....