Posted by Beth on Friday, July 27, 2012 at 5:26pm.
When any radioactive dating method is used, experimental error in the measurement of the sample's activity leads to error in the estimated age. In an application of the radiocarbon dating technique to certain fossils, an activity of 0.15 Bq per gram of carbon is measured to within an accuracy of 15 percent. Find (a) the age of the fossils and (b) the maximum error (both in years) in the value obtained. Assume that there is no error in the 5730-year half-life of 6C14 nor in the value of 0.23 Bq per gram of carbon in a living organism.
I understand that I have to use the equation A=Ao EXP(-wavelength x T) and once i plug in the answer it always turns out to be 7300 or so which is the incorrect answer. Therfore allwing me not to be able to solve B. If anyone can help me in where my calculations went wrong that would be greatly appriciated.
- Physics - Elena, Saturday, July 28, 2012 at 3:45pm
λ is the decay constant (not the wavelength!!!)
λ=ln2/T, where T is half-life
A/Aₒ= e(- ln2•t/T).
ln(A/Aₒ)= - ln2•t/T
= - 4.27 = -ln2 •t/5730.
15% •35299/100% =5295 years
Ans. 35299±5295 years
- Physics - Anonymous, Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 9:02pm
this is wrong
- Physics - Aaron, Monday, July 29, 2013 at 3:12pm
Elena was so close, it looks like a calculator error when calculating part A. The answer is off by a factor of ten. So 3529.9 years, not 35299.
- Physics - Derp, Monday, July 29, 2013 at 6:01pm
Good Guy Aaron
Answer this Question
- Science - What process involves the comparison of rock layers with others in a ...
- Geology - Does this sound right? Describe your assigned method and how it is ...
- Chemistry - What is the famous isotope used in archeological dating? carbon 12 I...
- Science- Radioactive Dating - Which of the following statements about ...
- sci - are radiocarbon dating and carbon-14 dating the same thing?
- sicence - Which example describes a method of relative dating? A. examining ...
- science - Which example describes a method of relative dating? A. using fossils ...
- 6th grade science - Which is a method of relative dating? A. examining ...
- ChemB - The activity of carbon 14 in living tissue is 15.3 disintegrations per ...
- science - ok i have a couple questions. 1. How has life changed throughout Earth...