Posted by john on Monday, July 23, 2012 at 12:13am.
john takes 3hours longer than andrew to peel 400 pounds of apples. if together they can peel 400pounds of apples in 8hours then how long would it take john if he is working alone.
math - Reiny, Monday, July 23, 2012 at 8:34am
Andrew's rate = 400/x
Johns rate = 400/(x+3)
combined rate = (400(x+3) + 400x)/(x(x+3)
400 / [400(2x+3)/(x(x+3) ] = 8
1/[2x+3)/(x(x+2)) ] = 8
x(x+3)/(2x+3) = 8
x^2+3x = 16x + 24
x^2 - 13x - 24 = 0
x = (13 ±√265)/2
x = 14.64 hrs , ignoring the negative answer
combined rate = 1/14.64 + 1/17.64 = .125
time at comined time = 1/.125 = 8 , Yeahh!
Andrew alone can do it in 14.65 hrs
John alone can do it in 17.65 hrs
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - John takes 2 hours longer than Andrew to peel 400 pounds of apples. If ...
- algebra - John takes 3 hours longer than Andrew to peel 400 pounds of apples. ...
- math - john and mary are working on a job together. if john does it alone, it ...
- Larkmead - John has a £10 note. Apples cost £4.95 per kg. does John have enough ...
- Math - John can paint a room in 3 hours. His apprentice, working alone, requires...
- math - Q1.The zoo uses 10 pounds of apples each day. How many pounds of apples ...
- 5th grade math - John picked 30 bags of apples on monday and sold them at his ...
- algebra - mary and jen peel 1lb of apple.if together they peeled 500 lbs of ...
- Math - A store has apples on sale for $3.00 for 2 pounds. How many pounds of ...
- math - JOhn hs 2 apples, Many has 9 apples, how many apples are in total?