Posted by Brooke on Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 6:45pm.
Ben purchased 5 shirts for $12.95 each. How much sales tax will he pay if the tax rate is 6%?
math - MathMate, Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 6:50pm
Multiply the total sale by 0.06 (=6%).
Total sale = 5*12.95=64.92
Sales Tax = $64.92*0.06=$3.90
math - Brooke, Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 7:01pm
You actually multiplied wrong, because 5*12.95= 64.75 not 64.92.
The answer I got from the structure you wrote was $3.89
Thanks though! It really helped!
math - Dustin, Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 7:05pm
actually you are both wrong he would pay exactly 0.777 cents in sales tax which rounds off to 0.78 cents in sales tax
math - Dustin, Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 7:06pm
for one shirt
math - Dustin, Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 7:07pm
so brooke is right the total sales tax is $3.89
math - Ms. Sue, Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 7:10pm
Dustin -- the problem asks for the sales tax on five shirts.
Brooke is right. The sales tax on all five shirts is $3.89. I'm glad you checked the tutor's math. We all make mistakes.
math - MathMate, Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 7:35pm
Thank you all for the corrections.
As Ms Sue said, I am glad you check the math.
Remember that you should always check the tutor's math, not only for accuracy, but also to verify that you have understood how it is done.
Sorry for the bad multiplication. It was a moment of inattention of my mental arithmetic.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math help please - Emily bought 3 shirts for $12.50 each and a pair of shorts ...
- help on math - Emily bought 3 shirts for $12.50 each and a pair of shorts for $...
- math - A community is considering increasing the sales tax rate 0.5% to fund a ...
- Math - Hi, I am doing my summer assignment and I do not understand a problem. ...
- math - zoomer bix plans to but a microcomputer that costs $690, excluding sales ...
- math - The sales tax rate in a state is 8%. If you pay a tax of $2.50 on an item...
- Math - 1)A bakery can sell muffins for $1 each. If it costs the bakery $5 to ...
- Sales tax - tom paid 695.5 for a tv when 7% sales tax was included in that price...
- Math - Tom buys a shirt for $22.00 plus 7% sales tax. His cousin buys a shirt ...
- Economics - David lives in Manhattan, where the combined state/local sales tax ...