Posted by jimmy on Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 5:11pm.
The Better Businesss Bureau reports that they resolve 70% of the consumer complaints they receive.
a) if a random sample of 5 consumer complaints is selected, what is the probability that all 5 were resolved?
b)if a random sample of 5 consumer complaints is selected, what is the probability that at least 1 was not resolved?
c) if a random sample of 5 consumer complaints is selected, what is the probability that none were resolved?
d) if a random sample of 5 consumer complaints is selected, what is the probability that at least 1 was resolved?
statistics - MathMate, Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 5:30pm
Use binomial theorem with N=5, p=0.70
(a) all five resolved
(b) at least one not resolved
i.e. not all five
(c) none resolved
(d) at least one resolved
i.e. not none resolved
statistics - MathMate, Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 6:26pm
A little suggest for follow-ups to my responses.
Start with a follow-up to the original post. If your patience runs out, then start a new post with or without the recipient's name under "school subject".
Assuming you have no problem with parts (a) and (c), parts (b) and (d) are simply the complement to the preceding part.
P(X≤4) means P(X=0)+P(X=1)+P(X=2)+P(X=3)+P(X=4).
However, we make use of the fact that the sum of probabilities of all possible events add up to 1, or
P(X=0)+P(X=1)+P(X=2)+P(X=3)+P(X=4)+P(X=5)=1 (all possible events), so by transposition, we obtain:
as was done in (b) and (d).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math-please help! - The number of complaints received by a business bureau can ...
- Algebra 1 - A city planning committee surveys 100 people waiting at a bus stop ...
- Algebra 1 - Can you please check my work? A city planning committee surveys 100 ...
- Statistics - A consumer protection group reports that 25% of 5-lb bags of sugar ...
- Statistics - The ratio of brown M&M’s in a bag is stated by the candy company to...
- Personal Finance - Most consumer complaints are resolved by: A. legal action. B...
- Statistics - he Oil Price Information Center reports the mean price per gallon ...
- algebra 1 - Circle the most appropriate description. 27.A city planning ...
- statistics - A specific study found that the average number of doctor visits per...
- statistics - random sample of n = 16 scores is selected from a normal ...