Posted by Vladimir on Friday, July 20, 2012 at 11:11am.
A 6-g ice cube at −8°C is dropped into 70 g of water at 31°C.
(a) After enough time has passed to allow the ice cube and water to come into equilibrium, what is the temperature of the water?
(b) If a second ice cube is added, what will the temperature be?
- Physics - Vladimir, Friday, July 20, 2012 at 11:13am
The answers are 21.9 degree c and 14.2 degree c. I've tired figuring out a way to use the dE = Q - W equation to solve this problem, but it hasn't been working.
- Physics - Vladimir, Friday, July 20, 2012 at 11:14am
The specific heat of ice and water is given as 2.06 kJ/(kg K) and 4.19 kJ/(kg K) respectively.
- Physics - ajayb, Friday, July 20, 2012 at 12:13pm
You might have forgotten to include the latent heat - heat required to convert the state from ice to water w/o change in temp. Consider this factor and you could get the correct answer.
- Physics - Vladimir, Friday, July 20, 2012 at 1:13pm
I'm not too sure how to add the latent heat part in there, but I'll reread that section in my book and see if I can figure something out.
- Physics - Elena, Friday, July 20, 2012 at 3:39pm
m1=0.006 kg, T1= - 8ºC, m2=0.07 kg, T2=31 ºC
m1•c(ice) •(0-(-8)+ m1•L+m1•c(water)(T-0) = m2•c(water)(31-T)
0.006•2060•8 + 0.006•335000+0.006•4190•T)=0.07•4190(31-T)
98.88+2010+25.14T=9092.3 – 293.3T
New equation (m3=m1+m2=0.07+0.006=0.076 kg)
m1•c(ice) •(0-(-8)+ m1•L+m1•c(water)(T1-0) = m3•c(water)(21.93-T1)
Solve for T1
- Physics - Vladimir, Friday, July 20, 2012 at 7:07pm
Thank you both.
- Physics - Sherileen Eva, Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 5:55am
Tf= 29.30 degree celsius
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- physics - A 5-g ice cube at ?4°C is dropped into 60 g of water at 40°C. (For the...
- physics - a 9.0 g ice cube at -10 C is put into a thermos flask containing 100 ...
- physics - Given: latent heat of fusion of water 3.33x10^5 J/kg. A 147 g cube of ...
- ice cube mass??? - an ice cube at 0 was dropped into 30.0 g of water in a cup at...
- Physics - A 123 g cube of ice at 0◦C is dropped into 1.9 kg of water that...
- physics - There is a problem that asks if an ice cube is dropped into nitrogen (...
- physics - A 27 g ice cube at −25◦C is dropped into a container of ...
- science - You freeze 92g of water, and it becomes a cube of ice. a. What is the ...
- science - an ice cube, a glass of cold water, and a swimming pool are each ...
- Physics - a): Two 50 g ice cubes are dropped into 200 g of water in a thermally...