Posted by Nycw on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 10:01pm.
Joe walks 5 miles in the direction degrees North of East, and then 10 miles in the direction 20 degrees West of North.
(a) How far is Joe from his starting position?
(b) In what direction is Joe from his starting position?
- Trig/Physics - drwls, Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 11:14pm
You left out an important number that is needed to compute the answer. It should follow the first word "direction". How many degrees is the first direction North of East?
- Trig/Physics - Nycw, Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 11:38pm
Hi, sorry it was 30 degrees North of East.
- Trig/Physics - drwls, Thursday, July 19, 2012 at 1:18am
total displacement north
= 5 sin 30 + 10 cos20
= 2.5 + 9.397
= 11.897 miles
total displacement east
= 5 cos30 - 10 sin20
= 4.33 - 3.42
= 0.91 miles
(a) sqrt[(11.897)^2 + (0.91)^2]
= 11.93 miles
(b) direction = tan^-1 0.91/11.897
E of N
= 4.37 deg E of N
- Trig/Physics - Nycw, Thursday, July 19, 2012 at 3:50am
Hi, thank you so much. Everything I tried hit all around the borders, but just was not working out correctly. I really appreciate your help.
Answer this Question
- Math - A boat travels 74 miles on a course with direction 34 degrees and then ...
- Physics - Margaret walks to the store using the following path: 0.435 miles west...
- physics - Hi, can anyone help please. You are camping with two friends, Joe and ...
- math - joe walked 4 miles north, 9 miles east then 8 miles north and 7 miles ...
- physics - The accelerating force of the wind on a small 200-kg sailboat is 707 N...
- Physics - This is a vector problem. A man starts at home and runs 5 miles north ...
- physics (science) - John walks 1.0 km north, turns and walks 1.2 km at 50 ...
- trig - a ship starts from port at a bearing of South 32 degrees East. It travels...
- physics - A person walks 5 meters in the direction 370 degrees north of east. ...
- Physics - A hiker follows a route that consists of three displacement vectors A...