Posted by cathy on Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 12:43pm.
I need to find the derivative and can't do them when they are raised to powers? Thank You.
m(x)x^5 - 5x^3+7x -4)^10 (4x^9 +19)^23 this on is tuff!
- calculus/derivatives - Reiny, Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 12:56pm
Your brackets don't match , also there is no equal sign
is it ...
m(x) = (x^5 - 5x^3 + 7x - 4)^10 * (4x^9 + 19)^23 ??
(the * means multiplication)
- calculus/derivatives - Steve, Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 2:09pm
the key, however, is the chain rule. If
f = u^n, then
df/dx = nu^n-1 * du/dx
It's just the familiar power rule, but you have to multiply by the derivative of what's raised to the power.
For example, if you have
f(x) = (3x^2-4x+5)^5, then
let u = 3x^2 - 4x + 5.
Then all you have is
f(x) = u^5
df/dx = 5u^4 du/dx
But that's easy, because du/dx = 6x-4, so the final answer is
df/dx = 5(3x^2-4x+5)^4 (6x-4)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus (Derivatives) - What is the derivative of the this functon? g(x) = -500...
- Calculus - derivatives - Okay, I want to find the derivative of (x^x)^(x^x)... ...
- Calculus - What is wrong with the following reasoning??? f(x) = 2^x f'(x) = x[2...
- Calculus - show that the curves r=asin(è) and r=acos(è) intersect at right ...
- Calculus derivatives - f(a) = a + √a (a) Find the derivative of the ...
- Calculus/Derivatives - In addition, can you walk me through how to get the ...
- calculus - Differentiate both sides of the double angle identify sin 2x= 2 sin x...
- Applied Calculus - Find the first and second derivative of the function: x/(7x+...
- math - I studied derivatives before, but kind of forgot them all, is there a ...
- Calculus (derivatives) - Find the derivative of cos^2(4x)