Posted by Shirley on Sunday, July 15, 2012 at 10:08pm.
2H2(g)+O2(g) ---> 2H2O(l)
delta H= -572kJ/mole of O2
Calculate the amount of heat evolved when 10g of hydrogen are burned in excess oxygen.
Can someone please explain step by step? =D
- Chem - DrBob222, Sunday, July 15, 2012 at 10:11pm
I worked this for you below. You didn't look or you don't understand? If you don't understand, go step by step and be specific about what you don't understand.
- Chem - Shirley, Sunday, July 15, 2012 at 10:13pm
I looked at the solution from below but i do not understand where the 4g of H2 came from and why 572kJ x 10/4?
Would you mind explaining please? I'm quite new to this topic.
- Chem - DrBob222, Sunday, July 15, 2012 at 10:27pm
Look at the equation.
2H2 + O2 ==> 2H2O
2 mols H2 react with 1 mol O2.
That's 4 g H2 (4*1 = 4) react with 32 g O2 (2*16=32).
So you would get 572 kJ if you had 32 g O2 or 4 g H2. Suppose you had 4 g H2. You would have
572 x 4/4 = ?
Suppose you had twice as much H2 (8 g H2)?
You would obtain twice as much or 572 x 2 = ? How do you get that? It's 572 x (8/4) = ?
If you have 10 g it's 572 x (10/4) = ?
What about apples? If apples cost 5.72 for 4 apples, how much will 10 apples cost? That's $5.72 x (10/4) = ?
- Chem - Shirley, Sunday, July 15, 2012 at 10:32pm
Thank you very much, I understand now (:
Answer this Question
- Chem - 2H2(g)+O2(g) ---> 2H2O(l) delta H= -572kJ/mole of O2 Calculate the ...
- chemistry - Consider the following reaction: 2H2 (g) + O2 (g) 2H2O (l...
- Chemistry - Hydrogen H2 is used as a rocker fuel. The hydrogen is burned in ...
- Chemistry - Hydrogen H2, is used asa rocker fuel. The hydrogen is burned in ...
- Chem - Calculate delta H for the formation of one mole of N2O5 from the elements...
- Chemistry - Hydrogen and methanol (CH3OH) have both been proposed as ...
- Chemistry - Consider the following reaction: CH4 +2O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O. Delta H...
- Chemistry - 3. A liquid hydrocarbon (Cx Hy) is found to be 16.37% H by mass. A 1...
- chem - If you burn 13.7 g of methane (CH4) burns in oxygen, then 686 kJ is ...
- chemistry - 1. Nitrogen gas and sodium liquid are produced by the decomposition ...