Posted by lola on Friday, July 13, 2012 at 9:29pm.
a toy rocket is shot into the air at the top of a building so that its height above the ground t seconds after the rocket is launched is given by the formula h(t)= -3t cubed + 6t squared + 27t feet from liftoff until the rocket crashes into the ground. Find the maximum height height that the rocket achieves, the speed at which it crashes into the ground and the exact time it reached its maximum height.What is the instantaneous velocityat which the rocket nis thrown and two seconds after it is launched. What is the average velocityfor the first 2 seconds after it is launched. Alot I know but I cannot seem to catch onto the formulas!
- Math/calculus - Reiny, Friday, July 13, 2012 at 11:45pm
h(t) = -3t^3 + 6t^2 + 27t
h' (t) = -9t^2 + 12t + 27
= 0 for a max/min of h(t)
divide by -3
3t^2 - 4t - 9 = 0
t = (4 ± √124)/6
= appr 2.523 or -1.18 , which we reject since time cannot be negative
h(2.523) = ..... you do the button-pushing.
initial velocity ---> t = 0
h' (0) = 27 ft/sec
h'(2) = -9(4) + 12(2) + 27 = 15
average velocity in first 2 seconds:
h(0) = 0
h(2) = -3(8) + 6(4) + 27(2) = 54
avg vel = (54-0)/(2-0) = 27 ft/s
check my arithmetic
- Math/calculus - lola, Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 11:20am
Thank you very much but how do I calculatethe speed at which it crashes to the ground? I got38.181 for the max height do I start from there?
Thanks again, going through the calculations you gave makes it easier to understand how I use the formulas. I am never sure when to use first derivatives, 2nd etc-when to factor etc you have been very helpful.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra Please help - .A toy rocket is shot vertically into the air from a ...
- math - A toy rocket is launched straight up into the air with an initial ...
- Physics - A toy rocket is launched upwards from rest. The rocket engine will ...
- Math Gr 12 - A model rocket is shot straight into the air. Its height in meters ...
- Math - A rocket follows a parabolic trajectory. After t seconds, the vertical ...
- Math - A rocket is launched from the top of a 50 foot cliff with an initial ...
- algebra - The equation that describes the path of a small rocket after it is ...
- Algebra - A toy rocket that is shot in the air with an upward velocity of 48 ...
- Math - A rocket is launched upward and then falls to the ground. The height of ...
- intermediate algebra - A model rocket Is launched from a height of 50ft. The ...