Posted by Samantha on Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 4:08am.
f(x) = 1/3x + 3 and g(x) = x - 2
The functions f and g above are defined for all values of x. In the xy-plane, what is the y-coordinate of the point of intersection of the graphs of f and g?
- Math - drwls, Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 6:43am
It is not clear if the x in the f(x) equation is in the denominator.
I assume you mean
f(x) = 1/(3x) + 3, and not
x/3 + 3.
f(x) = g(x) when
1/(3x) + 3 = x -2
1/(3x) = x - 5
3x^2 -15x -1 = 0
Solve for x. There will be two answers.
x = (1/6)[15 +/- sqrt(225+12)]
= 5.066 or -0.0658
- Math - Samantha, Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 7:07am
f(x) = (1/3)x the fraction one third x
- Math - drwls, Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 8:15am
In that case, the problem simplifies to:
(x/3) + 3 = x -2
2x/3 = 5
x = 7.5
y = x-2 = 5.5
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - 19. Point A(4, 2) is translated according to the rule (x, y) (x + 1, y – ...
- Calculus - Functions? - #1. A cubic polynomial function f is defined by f(x) = ...
- calculus - given the functions f(x) = sqrt x+1 and g(x) = 6x+a in the xy ...
- Math - In a coordinate plane, Brittany labeled the coordinates for point m as (-...
- Polygons on the coordinate plane - Draw a rectangle on a coordinate plane that ...
- math coordinate plane - A rectangle is plotted in the coordinate plane. The ...
- Calculus-Applied Optimization Problem: - Find the point on the line 6x + 3y-3 =...
- Calculus - The function f(x) is defined as f(x) = -2(x+2)(x-1)^2 = -2(x^3 -3x + ...
- Calculus - Verify please and thank you~ Does the line (x-7)/3=(y+8)/6=(z+4)/5 ...
- Calculus and vectors - Verify please and thank you~ 1. Does the line (x-7)/3=(y+...