Posted by Rae on Monday, July 2, 2012 at 3:00pm.
A steel storage tank for propane gas is to be constructed in the shape of a right circular cylinder with a hempishere at each end. The cost per square foot of constructing the end pieces is twice that of contructing the cylindrical piece. If the desired capacity of the tank is 144 pi cubic feet, what dimensions will minimize the cost of construction?
- Calculus - Reiny, Monday, July 2, 2012 at 3:32pm
The two hemispheres at the ends will make up one complete sphere
Let the radius of the sphere be r ft, and let the height of the cylindrical part be h
Volume = cylinder + sphere
πr^2 h + (4/3)πr^3 = 144π
3πr^2 h + 4πr^3 = 432π
3r^2 h + 4r^3 = 432
h = (432 - 4r^3)/(3r^2)
The cost of production is dependent on the surface area of material used
SA = 4π^2 + 2πrh
= 4πr^2 + 2π(432 - 4r^3)/(3r^2)
= 4πr^2 + 288π/r^2 - (8/3)πr
d(SA)/dr = 8πr - 576π/r^3 - 8π/3 = 0 for a min of SA
8r - 576/r^3 - 8/3 = 0
24r^4 -1728 - 8r^3 = 0
3r^4 - r^3 - 216 = 0
At this point I "cheated" a bit and ran it through Wolfram
for a real solution of r=3, r = appr-3 and 2 complex roots,
so the only usable answer is r = 3
the h = (432 - 108)/27 = 12
So the cylinder part should be 12 ft long and the radius of each of the semispheres should be 3 ft
- Calculus - Damon, Monday, July 2, 2012 at 5:22pm
remember the sphere surface is twice as expensive as the cylinder which has no compound curvature so is easy to roll.
c = 2(4 pi r^2) + 1(2 pi r h)
c= 8 pi r^2 + 2 pi r h
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- maths - A storage tank is in the shape of a right circular cylinder that has a ...
- college algebra - A propane tank has the shape of a circular cylinder with a ...
- calculus - A tank with a rectangular base and rectangular sides is to be open at...
- the lagrange multiplier equation - A cylindrical oil-storage tank is to be ...
- lagrange multipliers - A cylindrical oil-storage tank is to be constructed for ...
- math-optimal diameterand height - A cylindrical oil-storage tank is to be ...
- geometry - A propane tank is in the form of a cylinder with two half-spheres, ...
- Chandra - A building is the shape of an airplane hanger (a half cylinder). ...
- pre-calculus - A company plans to manufacture a container having the shape of a ...
- Math - An oil tank is the shape of an inverted right circular cone with the ...