Posted by James on Sunday, June 17, 2012 at 5:56pm.
10. A yo-yo is made by wrapping a 2-m long string around a 500-g 10-cm diameter uniform disk. The string is fastened to the ceiling, and the yo-yo is released. What is the tension in the string as the yo-yo falls?
The answer is B. How do I get this answer? I'm having trouble figuring out why tension would be less than (mg). Thank you in advance.
- Physics - Damon, Sunday, June 17, 2012 at 6:37pm
Tension = T
force up = T
force down = m g
m g - T = m a
torque = I * angular acceleration
T * R = I alpha = I a/R
but I for disk = (1/2) m R^2
T R = (1/2) m R a
T = (1/2) m a interesting :)
m g - (1/2) m a = m a
g = (3/2) a
a = (2/3) g
T = (1/2) m (2/3) g = (1/3) m g
= 1.63 N or B
- Physics - Elena, Sunday, June 17, 2012 at 7:06pm
T-tension, M –torque,
I = mR²/2 -moment of inertia of disc
I•a/R = T•R,
m•2T/m = mg-T,
T=mg/3 =0.5•9.8/3 = 1.63
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- mechanics - A string is wound around a uniform disk of radius R and mass M. The ...
- Physics - what are the forces acting on a string that is wounded around a ...
- physics - A thin, light horizontal string is wrapped around the rim of a 4.00-kg...
- Physics - A 15 kg uniform disk of radius R = 0.25 m has a string wrapped around ...
- physics - A small disk of radius r is glued onto a large disk of radius R that ...
- physics - A toy top consists of a rod with a diameter of 13.00 mm and a disk of ...
- physics - A string is wrapped around a uniform disk of mass M = 1.6 kg and ...
- physics - A thin, light string is wrapped around the rim of a 4.00kg solid ...
- Physics - A small disk of radius R1 is mounted coaxially with a larger disk of ...
- Physics - A student uses a 2.00-m-long steel string with a diameter of 0.90 mm ...