Posted by lucia on Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 11:53pm.
The sum of two number is 40.Two times the smaller number exceeds the larger number by 38.Find the number
algebra - Reiny, Thursday, June 14, 2012 at 7:14am
let the smaller be x
then the larger is 40-x
"Two times the smaller number exceeds the larger number by 38"
---> 2x > (40-x) by 38
2x = 40-x + 38
3x = 78
x = 26
the smaller is 26
the larger is 14
Your wording should have been
"Two times the larger number exceedss the smaller number by 38
2(40-x) - x = 38
80 - 2x-x = 38
-3x = -42
x = 14
the smaller is 14, the larger is 26
2(26) = 52
does 52 exceed 14 by 38 ? YES
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - One number is 6 more than another. If the sum of the smaller number ...
- algebra 1 help - One number is 6 more than another. If the sum of the smaller ...
- advance algebra - The sum of two numbers is 103, the larger number is 1 more ...
- Math - Can someone please help me write this statement out in formula form. ...
- algebra - The difference between two numbers is 18. If the sum of three times ...
- algebra - The sum of two numbers is 56. the larger number is 7 less than 3 times...
- Algebra - The difference of two numbers is 12. The sum of the larger number and ...
- algebra - The sum of two numbers is 24. Seven times the smaller number is the ...
- math - the sum of two numbers is 80.if the larger number exceeds four times the ...
- Algebra - The sum of two numbers is 3. Four times the larger number plus three ...