Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, June 6, 2012 at 6:45pm.
Two planes are about to drop an empty fuel tank. At the moment of release each plane has the same speed of 135 m/s, and each tank is at the same height of around 2.00km above the ground. Although the speeds are the same, the velocities are different at the instant of release, because one plane is flying at an angle of 15deg above the horizontal (Plane A) and the other is flying at an angle of 15deg below the horizontal (Plane B). Find the magnitude and the direction of the velocity with which the fuel tank hits the ground if it is from a) Plane A b) Plane B. Give the directional angles with respect to the horizontal.
- Physics - Elena, Thursday, June 7, 2012 at 5:07am
v(ox) =v(o) •cosα= 135 •cos15 = 130.4 m/s,
v(oy) =v(o) •sinα= 135 •sin15 = 34.9 m/s,
the tank moves upward along the parabolic path until its v(y) =0.
The height hₒ= v²(o) •sin²α/2•g =135² •sin²15/2•9.8 = 62.3 m
H=h+hₒ=2000+62.3 =2062.3 m.
t =sqrt(2H/g) = sqrt(2•2062.3/9.8) = 20.5.
The vertical component of the velocity near the ground is
v(y)=gt = 9.8•20.5 = 201.05 m/s.
v =sqrt(v²(x)+v²(y)) = sqrt(130.4² +201.05²) = 239.6 m/s.
tanφ =v(y)/v(x) =201.05/130.4 =1.54,
h=gt²/2 => t=sqrt(2h/g) =sqrt(2•2000/9.8) = 20.2 s.
v(y) = v(oy)+gt = 34.9+9.8•20.2 = 232.9 m/s.
v =sqrt(v²(x)+v²(y)) = sqrt(130.4² +232.9²) = 266.9 m/s.
tanφ =232.9/130.4 = 1.789,
φ = 60.8º.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - As preparation for this problem, review Conceptual Example 10. The ...
- Physics - he drawing shows two planes each dropping an empty fuel tank. At the ...
- physics - As preparation for this problem, review Conceptual Example 10. The ...
- Physics - At the moment of release each plane has the same speed of 186 m/s, and...
- math - A 500-litre water storage tank is situated at the top of a building at a ...
- college algebra - an inlet pipe can fill a large water tank in 3 hours. an ...
- MISSION - A satellite launch rocket has a cylindrical fuel tank. The fuel tank ...
- geometry - A satellite launch rocket has a cylindrical fuel tank. The fuel tank ...
- Math - A satellite launch rocket has a cylindrical fuel tank. The fuel tank can ...
- Algebra - A single-engine airplane carries enough fuel for an 8-hour flight. ...