Posted by Aria on Tuesday, June 5, 2012 at 10:00pm.
Cohen has consistently averaged 120 yd. of horizontal distance with his 7-iron over the last two years playing golf. His ball flight typically reaches a maximum height of 24 yd. (Hint: A rough sketch will help you)
a.) Create a function in vertex form that relates these distances. Cohen is at the origin of the graph. Assume that the ball stops when it hits the ground.
b.) Determine the restrictions on the domain and range of this function.
c.) How high is the ball when it is 45 yd. from Cohen?
- math - MathMate, Tuesday, June 5, 2012 at 11:47pm
The standard quadratic equation in canonic form is
where (h,k) is the vertex.
when a<0, parabola is concave down.
for Cohen, h=120, k=24, so
However, we also know that y=0 at x=0 and x=120, so
Equate the two forms of f(x):
Since if the two sides are equivalent, the coefficients of all powers are equal. This means:
dom f(x)= R
range f(x) = (-∞,24]
I'll leave part (C) to you as an exercise.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - A golf ball is struck by a 60-degree golf club at an initial ...
- Precal - Suppose that Tiger hit a golf ball with an initial velocity of 150 ft/...
- Precal - Can someone please help me with the last 4 questions in this paragraph...
- Science - A golf ball was hit and projected in an angle of 60 degrees with the ...
- kvb - Sam hits a golf ball with a five-iron a distance of 120 m horizontally. A ...
- Math - Hi, how would we solve a problem like this? The path of the ball for many...
- Physics - 2. A golf ball is hit off the tee with an initial speed of 32 m/s at ...
- physics - A golf ball is drive. With an initial velocity of 25 m/s at an angle ...
- physics - A golfer hits a ball off a tee from an elevated platform 13m above the...
- Math - A soccer ball is kicked from the ground. After travelling a horizontal ...