Posted by Amy on Friday, June 1, 2012 at 4:05am.
A carpenter wants to cut an 18-foot board into two pieces so that one piece is 3 feet shorter than twice the shorter piece. Where should he make the cut?
---?--- ft from one end
- Math - Bosnian, Friday, June 1, 2012 at 4:28am
L = length of board piece
a = length of first piece
b = length of second ( shorter ) piece
a = 2 b - 3
L = 18 = a + b = 2 b - 3 + b = 3 b - 3
3 b - 3 = 18 Add 3 to both sides
3 b - 3 + 3 = 18 + 3
3 b = 21 Divide both sides by 3
3 b / 3 = 21 / 3
b = 7 ft
a = 2 b - 3
a = 2 * 7 - 3 = 14 - 3 = 11 ft
- Math - mohammed, Sunday, October 21, 2012 at 1:50pm
a carpenter cut a 3- meter board into four pieces of equal length . how
many centimeters long was each piece?
- Math - nardos, Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 2:50pm
i need help with my homework
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Agebra - A 12ft. board is cut into two pieces so that one piece is 8 ft. longer ...
- math - a 17 foot piece of string is cut into two pieces so that the longer piece...
- Algebra - A board 5 feet long is cut into two pieces such that the length of one...
- Algebra - Using two variables - A carpenter wants to cut a 24-foot board into ...
- algebra - A 40 inch board is cut into two pieces so that the shorter piece is ...
- college algebra - how do you slove this problem a rope is 72 feet long is cut ...
- algebra - A 33-foot-long speaker wire is to be cut into three pieces. One piece ...
- algebra - a 3 1/2 foot piece of rope is cut into two pieces. one of these pieces...
- Pre algebra - 25ft piece wire cut into 2 pieces one piece is 19ft shorter than ...
- math - Sarah has a piece of rope that is 10 ft long. She wants to cut it into 2 ...