Posted by Jacob on Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 6:45pm.
Q1. How do I know what a expression is called for example 6x^3-9x+3?
- Math - Damon, Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 6:50pm
it is a polynomial because it is a sum of terms which are coefficients times x^n where n can be any old whole numbers
Since the highest n in this expression is three it is called a cubic polynomial
- Math - Jacob, Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 6:56pm
Thanks-got it cubic trinomial. Here's another one when I have to change signs of negatives and positives for addition and subtraction. How do I do for example 5w^2-4w-7-8w^2+3w-3?
- Math - Damon, Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 7:03pm
If you just want the name that is a quadratic polynomial because the highest power of w is 2.
your alternating signs make no difference at all. Like 5 w^2 - 8 w^2 = -3w^2
- Math - Jacob, Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 7:10pm
No I do not want the Name I want to know how to figure it out once the numbers are all lined up and it is very confusing when signs need to be switched. Can you please explain that?
- Math - Damon, Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 7:35pm
5 w^2 - 8 w^2 = -3 w^2
-4 w + 3 w = -1 w
-3 = -3
-3 w^2 - 1 w - 3
- (w^2 + w +3)
- Math - Jacob, Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 7:53pm
Thanks. There was ( ) on the 8 and the rest because your answer is not one of the answers
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math (this correct) - What is the difference between an equation and an ...
- Math - What is the difference between an equation and an expression? Include an ...
- Algebra I math - Which statement best demonstrates why the following is a non-...
- math urgents - compare the single term expression for retail price after a ...
- biolgy - spontaneous changes in genetic material are called what? and the first ...
- Math(Factoring) - x^2+4 x^2+4 = (x + 2 i) (x - 2 i) Wouldn't you need a value ...
- math - Give an example of a real world situation that could be represented by ...
- Math - There is an expression some people use that says, “What you put into it ...
- Algebra 1 - Which statement best demonstrates why the following is a non-example...
- algeebra - Determine wether the two expressions are equivalent. If so,tell what ...