Posted by Miranda on Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 12:23am.
Casey paid $45 for one new tire and one used tyre for his bicycle. The new tire costs $17 more than the used tire. How much did the new tire cost?
I have worked out the answer in my head, ($31) but is there a particular formula I can use or follow.
- Math - Kuai, Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 1:43am
Let's new = x, old = y
x+y = 45
y+17+y = 45
2y+17 = 45
2y = 28
2y/2 = 28/2
y = 14
x = y+17
x = 14+17
x = 31
So new tire cost $ 31 and used tire cost $ 14
- Math - MathMate, Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 4:08pm
Short-cut for sum/difference problems:
Whenever the sum and difference of two numbers are both given, the bigger number is (sum+difference)/2, and the smaller number is (sum-difference)/2.
Most of the time these problems can be solved without pen and paper.
- Math - Maria, Sunday, May 4, 2014 at 9:05pm
x + (x + 17) = 45
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A bicycle tire is filled with air to a pressure of 610 kPa at a ...
- science - A bicycle tire is filled with air to a pressure of 6.80 atm and a ...
- Physics - The warranty on a new tire says that an automobile can travel for a ...
- science - A bicycle tire is filled with air pressure of 6 atm at a temperature ...
- Statistics - Wrong tire pressure can increase tire wear and decrease gas mileage...
- Physics - An automobile tire is inflated with air originally at 10.0°C and ...
- Chemistry - a bicycle is filled with air to a pressure of 6.80atm and a ...
- math - On Saturday, Alberto filled his right rear tire with air at the gas ...
- Algebra 1 - Your uncle buys a new car that comes with seven new tires, one for ...
- ocean view - a bicycle tire rim has a diameter of24.5 inches, and the tire is 2....