Posted by matt on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 6:52pm.
Two identical diverging lenses are separated by 15 cm. The focal length of each lens is -8.0 cm. An object is located 4.0 cm to the left of the lens that is on the left. Determine the final image distance relative to the lens on the right.
physics - Elena, Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 4:18am
For the first divergent lens
F1= - 8 cm,
object distance u = 4 cm.
plug the value of F1 and u, and
solve for v
-1/8 = 1/4 + 1/v,
the image distance for first lens (to the left ofthe first lens)
v = -2.67cm.
Distance between two lences
d= 15 cm.
Image formed by the first lens is object to 2nd lens,
then object distance for 2nd lens is
u1 =15+v =17.67 cm (here take only magnitude,
because we have taken sign conventions)
Focal length of 2nd lens
F2 = - 8cm
1/F2 =1/v1 +1/u1
plug values of F1 and u1 we get v1(that is image distance to the left of 2nd lens)
v1 =- 5.5 cm
-represants towards left of second lens.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Two converging lenses are placed 31.0 cm apart. The focal length of ...
- physics - Two converging lenses are separated by 25.0 cm. The focal length of ...
- Physics - Two converging lenses are separated by 23.40 cm. The focal length of ...
- Physics - Two converging lenses are separated by 23.60 cm. The focal length of ...
- Physics - Two systems are formed from a converging lens and a diverging lens, as...
- science - Two converging lenses are separated by 50 cm, and have focal lengths ...
- physics - A converging lens (f1 = 24.0 cm) is located 56.0 cm to the left of a ...
- Physics repost please clarify - A converging lens has a focal length of 0.060 m...
- Physics - A lighted candle is placed 38 cm in front of a diverging lens. The ...
- Physics - An object is placed 11.3 cm to the left of a diverging lens of focal ...