Posted by star on Monday, May 28, 2012 at 10:38am.
a radioactive material is undergoin nuclear decay. After 40 minutes, 25% of the sample remains. What is the half life of the sample? Pls say the formula how to calculate it
b) 20 mins
c) 40 mins
e) 160 mins
- chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, May 28, 2012 at 10:43am
ln(No/N) = kt.
Call No any convenient number, for example, 100, then N = 25, you know t, solve for k.
Then k = 0.693/t1/2
Solve for t1/2
- chemistry - star, Monday, May 28, 2012 at 11:07am
stil i didn't get the ryt ans hw to calculate t1/2. Wats the ans ?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, May 28, 2012 at 11:38am
What answer did did you get. Post your work and I'll find the error.
- chemistry - star, Monday, May 28, 2012 at 12:35pm
m doin as k=0.693/40 and m just gettin an different ans
- chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, May 28, 2012 at 12:47pm
You aren't following my instructions; that's why you aren't getting the right answer.
You must find k FIRST before substituting into the half life part.
Show what you have for ln(No/N) = kt. I told you what to substitute for No and N. Substitute 40 for t.
- chemistry - star, Monday, May 28, 2012 at 1:28pm
m getting k as 0.03465 m doin k =0.693/40x2 so m getting k as 0.03465
- chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, May 28, 2012 at 1:41pm
k is correct. k = 0.03466. The rest of what you are doing is not right. 40 min is the time it took to decrease from 100 to 25. 40 min is not t1/2. Nor is 2 the half life. The half life (t1/2) is what you are looking for. I don't think your problem is chemistry; I think it is math.
So k = 0.693/t1/2
0.03466 = 0.693/t1/2. Then
t1/2 = 0.693/0.03466 = 19.996 minutes which rounds to 20 min. The reason it doesn't come out exactly 20 min is because 0.693 is what I used for ln 2 and it actually is 0.69315.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - a radioactive material is undergoing nuclear decay. After 40 minutes...
- chemistry - use the nuclear decay equation to find out how much a 7mg sample of ...
- Science- Radioactive Dating - Which of the following statements about ...
- chemistry - How long will it take for 25% of the C-14 atoms in a sample of C-14 ...
- Algebra 2 help... - A half life of a certain radioactive is 36 days. An initial ...
- SCIENCE - We did a radioactive decay and half life lab with m&ms and I do not ...
- Chemistry - If 30% of a sample of radioactive isotope decays in 24 hrs, what is ...
- chemistry - If there are 80 milligrams of a radioactive element decays to 10 ...
- calculus - The rate at which an amount of a radioactive substance decays is ...
- Engineering Math - An unknown radioactive element decays into non-radioactive ...