Posted by Rashmi Krishna on Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 7:32am.
In the following problems, Θ = 20 + units digit of your day of birth.
For example, if you were born on April 1st, then Θ = 20 + 1 = 21.
If you were born on March 30th, then Θ = 20 + 0 = 20.
1. Alok and Bhanu play the following game on arithmetic expressions. Given the expression
N = (Θ + A)/B + (Θ + C + D)/E
where A, B, C, D and E are variables representing digits (0 to 9), Alok would like to maximize N
while Bhanu would like to minimize it. Towards this end, they take turns in instantiating the variables.
Alok starts and, at each move, proposes a value (digit 0-9) and Bhanu substitutes the value for
a variable of her choice. Assuming both play to their optimal strategies, what is the value of N
at the end of the game? Also find a sequence of moves (digits by Alok and variables by Bhanu)
that would yield this value.
Note: Moves that lead to a divide-by-zero condition are disallowed. A non-optimal sequence of
moves is (5 → B, 6 → C , 3 → D, 2 → E, 0 → A) and the expression evaluates to Θ/5 + (Θ+9)/2.
Maths - MathMate, Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 8:33am
There are a few things I do not quite get about this "game". It looks to me it's just a question of maximizing or minimizing N(n,A,B,C,D,E) for a specific n (birthdate) by varying the parameters A to E.
"proposes a value (digit 0-9)"
proposes a value of what?
The date, one of the values of A,B,C,D,E or all of them?
Why is it called a "move" when all the variables are initialized at every "move", meaning that there is no continuity in the "game"?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - In the following problems, Θ = 20 + units digit of your day of birth...
- please - Given tan Θ = - 8/5 and sin Θ < 0, find sin Θ, cos ...
- Probability - Let Θ1 and Θ2 be some unobserved Bernoulli random ...
- Trig - Identies/equation, please help! - 2Sin(Θ+47°)=1 ΘЄ[0°, ...
- math-Trig - 1. Write the algebraic expression which shows Cos((ArcSin(4/X)), 2...
- Math-Trig - Trig Questions- 1. Write the algebraic expression which shows Cos((...
- Trigonometry - 1. Find the exact value of the following (Think identity) Cos(2 ...
- Pre-Calculus - This question has me stuck. Use the Pythagorean identity sin^2 ...
- math - Solve the following equations giving any roots in terms of pi in the...
- algebra 1 - Mrs. Wilkerson noticed that her in-laws’ birth dates have an ...