Posted by Natalie on Friday, May 25, 2012 at 6:52pm.
Write the equation of a line in slope intercept form that is parallel to the line y= 1/3x+ 5 and passes through (-9, 5). Do not use any spaces. Slope should be a reduced improper fraction.
- Math - bobpursley, Friday, May 25, 2012 at 6:56pm
slope is 1/3
use the point given in y=1/3 x +b to solve for b.
Now you have the equation
- Math - Bosnian, Friday, May 25, 2012 at 7:17pm
Equations of a straight line :
y = m x + b
m = slope
b = the y intercept ( where the line crosses the y axis )
Parallel lines have the same slope.
In this case m = 1 / 3
y = ( 1 / 3 ) x + b
x = - 9
y = 5
5 = ( 1 / 3 ) ( - 9 ) + b
5 = - 3 + b Add 3 to both sides
5 + 3 = - 3 + b + 3
8 = b
b = 8
y = m x + b
y = ( 1 / 3 ) x + 8
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - 1. Write the equation of a line in slope-intercept form that has a slope ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Geometry - Write an equation of a line in slope intercept form that is parallel...
- Algebra - I'm suppose to write an equation with the following information: Line ...
- Math/Algebra do u know how to do slope intercept? - The following problems are ...
- Algebra 1 ( bobpursley) - 1. Write an equation in slope-intercept form for the ...
- Algebra2 - Write an equation for the line in point/slope form and slope/...
- algebra - Write an equation in slope-intercept form for each described line. 1....
- math - A line passes through the origin and the point (-6, 4). Write the ...
- algebra[please check] - in questions 1 and 2, write an equation of the line in ...