Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 11:27pm.
Find all solutions of cos 2x + √2/2 =0.
a) + or - 3/8pi +Kpi
b) 2/3pi + Kpi, 5/3pi + Kpi
c) + or - 2/5 +Kpi
d) 2/3 pi + 2Kpi, 5/3pi + 2Kpi
I really need help on this question :(
- trig - Reiny, Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 4:56am
cos 2x + √2/2 =0
cos 2x = -√2/2
I know cos π/4 = √2/2 or cos 45° = +√2/2
but 2x could be in II or III
2x = π-π/4 or 2x = π + π/4
2x = 3π/4 or 2x = 5π/4
x = 3π/8 or x = 5π/8 ---> 67.5° or 112.5°
but the period of cos 2x = π
so adding/subtraction multiples of π to an answer will yield more answers
x = 3π/8 + kπ, x = 5π/8 + kπ
a) fits the first of my solutions, but does not include the 2nd part of the solution
the others are not correct.
BTW, you can illustrate my 2nd solution, which they don't have, on a calculator
e.g. let x = 112.5° + 17(180)° = 3172.5
LS = cos 2(3172.5) + √2/2
= -.707106781 + .707106781
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- trig - Solve cos x-1 = sin^2 x Find all solutions on the interval [0,2pi) a. x=...
- pre-calc - Can someone help me find the exact value of 4csc(3pi/4)-cot(-pi/4)? ...
- CALCULUS - What is the following limit? lim as n goes to infinity of (pi/n) (sin...
- Pre-Calculus-check answers - State the period and phase shift of the function y...
- Calculus - Determine whether the curve has a tangent at the indicated point. f(x...
- CALCULUS LIMITS - What is the following limit? lim as n goes to infinity of (pi/...
- Calculus - What is the following limit? lim as n goes to infinity of (pi/n) (sin...
- trig - Solve the equation for cos theta-tan theta=0 for greater than or egual to...
- Math - Test for symmetry with repsect to Q=pi/2, the polar axis, and the pole. ...
- Math - Test for symmetry with repsect to Q=pi/2, the polar axis, and the pole. r...