Posted by Billy Bob on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 6:41pm.
I have two questions
two forest fire towers, A and B are 20.3km apart. From tower A, the bearing of tower B is 70 degrees. The ranger in each tower observes a fire and radios the bearing from the tower. the bearing from tower A is 25 degrees and from tower B is 345 degrees. How far, to the nearest tenth of a kilometre is the fire from each tower?
the other questions is:
The interior angles of a triangle are 120 degrees, 40 degrees, and 20 degrees. The longest side is 10cm longer than the shortest side. Determine the perimeter of the triangle to the nearest centimetre.
- Grade 11 Math - Reiny, Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 8:01pm
Never attempt a question like this without a sketch or diagram.
I labeled the position of the fire as F
and by some simple adding/subtracting of angles, I had angle A = 45° and angle B = 95°, thus angle F = 40° , and AB = 20.3
By sine law:
AF/sin95 = 20.3/sin40
AF = 20.3sin95/sin40 = appr31.46 km
BF/sin45 = 20.3/sin40
the second one is quite easy,
make a sketch of the triangle, place x as the side opposite the 20° angle and (x+10) opposite the 120° angle.
by sine law :
x/sin20 = (x+10)/sin120
xsin120 = xsin20 + 10sin20
xsin120 - xsin20 = 10sin20
x(sin120 - sin20) = 10sin20
x = 10sin20/(sin120-sin20) = appr 6.527
so the smallest side is 6.527,
the largest side is 16.527
Use the sine law once more to find the third side, then add up the 3 sides.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Functions - Two forest fire towers, A and B, are 20.3 km apart. From tower A, ...
- Math - Two fire towers, A and B, are 20.3 km apart. From tower A, the bearing of...
- Principles of Math 11 - A ranger in fire tower A spots a fire at a bearingof 295...
- Pre-Calculus - I need help with this problem: The bearing from the Pine Knob ...
- Math - Forest rangers use degree measure to identify directions and locate ...
- Geometry - Forest rangers use degree measure to identify directions and locate ...
- Math - Two fire towers are 30 kilometers apart, tower A being due west of tower ...
- Math! - From the top of a 40m fire tower, a fire ranger observes smoke in tower ...
- Trigonometry (Law of Sine) - Fire towers A and B are located 10 miles apart. ...
- Algebra - A ranger spots a forest fire while on a 45-meter observation tower. ...