Posted by J on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 5:07am.
How many trees can be planted in an area of 90000 sq feet if vertically 8 feet distance and horizontally 3 feet distance is to be kept? Pl show the method of calculations.
Maths - Reiny, Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 9:58am
You don't say which shape the field of trees should be.
Could it be a rectangle? Is it a square ? A circle ? perhaps an ellipse?
Let's assume the field is square, each side x feet long
then x^2 = 90000
x = 300
for each row:
300/3 = 100 , plus we can plant 1 tree at the start of the row
so in each row can have 101 trees
for each column:
300/8 = 37.5 ---> 37 trees + 1 at the start of the column
so each columns can have 38 trees
Number of trees = 38x101 = 3838
suppose the field was not a square,
let's pick a rectangle of 250 by 360 (area = 90000)
number of trees with 8 ft apart = 45 + 1 at the start = 46
number of trees with 3 ft apart = 83.33 +1 = 84
number of trees = 46x84 =3864 , ahhhh more trees.
Looks like a Calculus Optimization problem, or else I am over-thinking the problem.
Let me know if you know the shape of the field before I proceed.
Maths - Steve, Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 9:59am
90000/8 = 11250 vertically
90000/3 = 30000 horizontally
so, 11250*30000 = 337500000 in all
Maths -- oops - Steve, Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 10:00am
misread the problem - never mind
Maths - J, Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 10:48am
Shape is 300 * 300 so total 90000 sq feet.
Now since u know the shape, can u pl guide abt the answer. Thank u v much in advance.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calculus - 017 10.0 points Lance Armstrong is moving with speed 35 feet/sec and ...
- Math - A square field has an area of 22,500 square feet. To the nearest foot, ...
- Math - The ramp shown below is used to move crates of apples to loading docks at...
- Geometry - A person who is 5 feet, 6 inches (5.6 feet) tall casts a shadow (from...
- geometry - A person who is 5 feet, 6 inches (5.5 feet) tall casts a shadow (from...
- Math - John is building a fence that is 6 feet high and 18 feet wide to put ...
- math ,geometry - John is building a fence that is 6 feet high and 18 feet wide ...
- 5th grade math - mrs. watterson wants to fence in an area for her dog. she has ...
- Precalculus - a farmer has available 1032 feet of fencing and wishes to enclose ...
- Precalculus - a farmer has available 1032 feet of fencing and wishes to enclose...