Posted by Mohammad on Monday, May 21, 2012 at 7:06pm.
i not get in this poem where be 3 epithets? and i not get what be the irony in end, his parents not realize they forcing him to live dream he not want?
When every pencil meant a sacrifice
his parents boarded him at school in town,
slaving to free him from the stony fields,
the meagre acreage that bore them down.
They blushed with pride when, at his graduation,
they watched him picking up the slender scroll,
his passport from the years of brutal toil
and lonely patience in a barren hole.
When he went in the Bank their cups ran over.
They marvelled how he wore a milkwhite
work days and jeans on Sundays. He was saved
from their thistlestrewn
farm and its red dirt.
And he said nothing. Hard and serious
like a young bear inside his tellerís cage,
hands upon the paper bills
aching with empty strength and throttled rage.
- English - Writeacher, Monday, May 21, 2012 at 7:41pm
American Heritage Dictionary:
A term used to characterize a person or thing, such as rosy-fingered in rosy-fingered dawn or the Great in Catherine the Great ...
In other words, an epithet is a descriptive phrase. Here's one: "their thistledown farm"
Can you find others? There are more than just three in here.
Irony -- his parents are very happy because he is becoming everything they could not ... but he hates his life, working in a bank. He has "rage." He's living his life as his parents want him to, not as he wants to.
- English - Mohammad, Monday, May 21, 2012 at 8:18pm
thanks very much :)
- English - Writeacher, Monday, May 21, 2012 at 8:44pm
- English - Mohammad, Monday, May 21, 2012 at 8:45pm
thanks very much writeacher :)
- English - Writeacher, Monday, May 21, 2012 at 9:03pm
You're very welcome, Mohammad! =)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Anne Bradstreet's "The Author to Her Book" I have to explain the irony...
- English - When every pencil meant a sacrifice his parents boarded him at school ...
- what's the tone of this poem? - Resume Razors pain you; Rivers are damp; Acids ...
- English - In the poem Warren Pryor, what does the author pick this certain ...
- english - 4. Satisfaction is given to Mitty in his last daydream by he thinking ...
- English - I reply to the Warren poem below.
- Poem - To realize To realize the value of ten years:Ask a newly divorced couple...
- English - What role, according to Dessner, does irony play in the story A&P by ...
- english - Anne Bradstreet's "The Author to Her Book" I realize she is writing ...
- English - Edgar Allan Poe uses a pair of rhyming words to describe trying to ...