Posted by Im on Friday, May 18, 2012 at 12:42am.
K bought some marbles and gave half of them to L. bought some stamps and gave half of them to K.
K used 5 stamps and L gave away 11 marbles. The ratio of the number of stamps to the number of marbles K had left then became 1:7 and the ratio of the number of stamps to the number of marbles L had left became 1:5.
How many stamps did L buy?
math - Steve, Friday, May 18, 2012 at 10:38am
K's marbles started at km, and stamps at ks
L started with lm marbles and ls stamps.
after paragraph 1,
K has km/2 marbles and ks+ls/2 stamps
L has lm+km/2 marbles and ls/2 stamps
After spending and charity,
K has km/2 marbles and ks+ls/2-5 stamps
L has lm+km/2-11 marbles and ls/2 stamps
(ks+ls/2-5)/(km/2) = 1/7
(ls/2)/(lm+km/2-11) = 1/5
Now, having four unknowns and only two equations, I must assume that K started with no marbles (ks=0), and L started with no stamps (lm=0). That leaves us with
(ls/2-5)/(km/2) = 1/7
(ls/2)/(km/2-11) = 1/5
Clear fractions and rearrange terms to get
7ls - km = 70
5ls - km = -22
so, K bought 252 marbles, L bought 46 stamps
after initial giving,
K and L each had 126 marbles and 23 stamps
Then K had 18 stamps and 126 marbles
and L had 23 stamps and 115 marbles
18/126 = 1/7
23/115 = 1/5
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math (Please Help) - A man went to a post office to buy stamps. He bought x, 50 ...
- math - Barrie had some stamps. He gave 1/8 of them to Tom. If he gave 15 stamps ...
- math - in an album, the ratio of the number of local stamps to the number of ...
- math - a manager bought some stamps. she gave 1/3 of them to a cashier and 1/5 ...
- math - suppose you bought some 32 cent stamps and some 20 cent stamps. you spent...
- Math - John bought some stamps. He used 3/5 of then to mail letters. He had 12 ...
- aig math - David has 120 stamps. He gave 36 stamps to Maria and some to Alice. ...
- algebra - An executive bought 300 stamps for $73.80. The purchase included 15 ...
- Math - Simon and Jimmy had 167 stamps altogether. Simon gave 4/7 of his stamps ...
- math - Sam and Jill had 576 stamps in all. Sam gave 1/7 of his stamps to Jill. ...