Posted by Liz on Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 9:31pm.
Find the third Derivative of
The answer is 3x-1134 but I attempted the problem multiple times and I keep ending up with 648x-1134. What am I doing wrong?
- Calculus - Reiny, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 11:56pm
rather than using the product rule and repeated simpification, I thought I would expand the whole thing
f(x) = x(3x-7)^3
= x[ (3x)^3 + 3(3x)^2 (-7) + 3(3x)(-7)^2 + (-7)^3 ]
= x[ 27x^3 - 189x^2 + 441x - 343]
= 27x^4 - 189x^3 + 441x^2 - 343x
f'(x) = 108x^3 - 576x^2 + 882x
f''(x) = 324x^2 - 1152x + 882
f'''(x) = 648x - 1152
btw, Wolfram agrees with my answer
I kept feeding the previous derivative back in..
here is the last step
- Calculus - Steve, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 11:59pm
f = x(3x-7)^3
f' = (3x-7)^3 + 9x(3x-7)^2
f'' = 9(3x-7)^2 + 9(3x-7)^2 + 54x(3x-7)
= 18(3x-7)^2 + 54x(3x-7)
f''' = 108(3x-7) + 54(3x-7) + 162x
= 162(3x-7) + 162x
= 648x - 1134
We have a winner! Book is wrong.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - Please help!! I keep solving this problem but I keep getting the ...
- calculus - For x>0 find and simplify the derivative of f(x)= arctan(x) + ...
- math ! - Find the surface area of the rectangular prism with l= 12.5 m, w= 16.5 ...
- chemistry - Dr.Bob222: I attempted to solve the problem numerous times but keep ...
- Calculus - This is a large problem, sorry for the trouble. if f(x) = sqrt(x^3 + ...
- Calculus (Help) - Also I would like to know how to set this problem up in ...
- Derivatives - Can you help me find the derivative of these problems...Every ...
- Calculus derivative - Find the slope and an equation of the tangent line to the ...
- Calculus - How do you find the derivative of (x+1) times the third root of (x-5)...
- Calculus - Greetings, So I've been working on this problem: H(x) = (x^4 - 2x +7...