Posted by Sara on Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 6:24pm.
1) Matt traveled the first leg of his trip for 1350 miles on a large jet. He then traveled an additional 600 miles on a private plane to reach his destination. If the speed of the jet was three times the speed of the plane and the total time in the air was 6 hours determine the speed of each aircraft.
2) Matt and Sara mow lawns together. When Matt mows the lawn for Mr. Smith it takes 100 minutes. When matt and Sara work together to mow the lawn for Smith they get the job done in 40 minutes. How long will it take Sara to mow Smith's lawn by herself?
- Math - Reiny, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 6:45pm
speed of private plane --- x mph
speed of jet -----> 3x mph
time for 1st leg of trip = 1350/x
time for 2nd leg of trip = 600/(3x) = 200/x
so 1350/x + 200/x = 6
6x = 1550
x = 258.333..
private plane went 258.33 mph, jet went 775 mph
- Math - Reiny, Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 6:50pm
Matt's rate = lawn/100
Sara's rate = lawn/x , where x is Sara's time if she works alone
combined rate = lawn/100 + lawn/x
= (xlawn + 100lawn)/(100x)
then lawn*(x+100)/(100x) = lawn/40
(x+100)/(100x) = 1/40
100x = 40x + 4000
60x = 4000
x = 66.666. or 66 2/3 minutes
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - a two part canoe trip,the first part of the trip the canoist traveled...
- math - jenny had driven for 2h at a constant speed when road forced to reduce ...
- Math - Elenore made an 850 mile trip east. She traveled 2 hours by jet and 30 ...
- Physics - To reach city A, you travel north for 2.00 hours covering 80.0 miles. ...
- math - mr.musial traveled by car to a destination that is 1150 miles from ...
- math - One train left the station and traveled toward its destination at a speed...
- Math - Traveled 68 miles first day second day traveled 10 fewer miles third day ...
- Math - Cari Bean was on her way to the islands in her yachet. Because of the ...
- algebra - Family on a road trip. travels x miles on day 1. On day 2 they go 52 ...
- algebra - During the first part of a trip, a canoeist travels 69 miles at a ...